Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Xp Bites, Need Help please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Uforia, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Ok Guy's. I have a prob. I have a visiontek geforce2mx400 with 64 mb. When I play my high resolution games like FF* it has lines in place through the picture, and the other games run slow.
    Was looking at possibly upgrading the driver for it with the new geforce 2000/xp driver from cnet. However when I atempt to install it it tells me it has not been aproved or test for compatiblity.
    Looked at upgrading my video card. How ever most of the card good video cards in the price range I want only go up to 2000.

Can anyone tell where I can get a compatible xp driver for my card, or tell if I can unistall xp and go back to 2000.

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, Windows XP bites because some 3rd party hasn't written updated drivers that actually function properly with the newest Windows OS... :rolleyes:

If you want to point fingers here, point it at Visiontek. They are responsible for writing drivers for THEIR video card.

However, I would guess that the Windows 2000 drivers work fine with XP... it's most likely a firmware and/or bios rev problem between the video card and your motherboard. A lot of the high performance video cards have major issues with certain motherboards and certain bios/firmware revs of those motherboards.

3. Thanks Beermonkey. I'll look in to it.

Keep the sugestions coming.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you should be able to get the drivers fine from nvidia - the new detonator drivers should work fine.

a word of advice - don't rely on cnet or any other download-central type site to provide the most up to date drivers for download. either go to the manufacturer's site, or better yet go to the manufacturer of the core processor's site, in this case nvida.

also, just because something is listed as "not xp-certified" doesn't mean that it won't work with xp. just bringing that up because some of the hardware manufacturers don't bother to pay microsoft for the right to be listed as "certified" :rolleyes: which i don't blame them. that certification process is pretty much worthless, imo. so if you see that when you are installing your drivers, fuggedaboutit. :)

5. I had that problem with lines through the game in GTA 3 and all I needed was a windows xp update and it fixed the problem