Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XP home - upgrade edition - Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Slot, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    heya

just a quick question...

My mates computer is bunged, and im going to format it and set it back up for him. Ive got Win98(2nd edition) full version on disc, and i have an XP home upgrade disc.

Is there anyway i can do a full install using the upgrade disc, without having to install 98 first? if so, how do i do it?

Im pretty sure its possible, i just cant remember the trick.

any help would be appreciated.......thx[​IMG]

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I upgraded from Me and just re-installed Me, didn't take that long, maybe a half hour or so...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    yes, you can. Install using the XP disc as normal, it will ask you for the other cd.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You might contact TB'ers such as JMX or Embellisher. Those guys are "scary good" at PC stuff and are nice enough to help out we neophytes.

I don't know if I would care to use Win 98.....from the little I know, it's almost as horrid as WindowsME....(which I used to have).

Personally, I find my XP Pro freezes up like crazy when I try to respond to a TB thread. But JMX and Embellisher have tried to help me. I am going to use their advice when traffic is low on the web. Those guys are super!!!

5. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    thanks for the replys guys..

the XP upgrade disc wouldnt load from dos, so no joy. I had to take the long option and install 98 1st. ahh well ......would still love to know if there is a way around this

6. I'm not sure why it wouldn't load from DOS since you didn't say (A lot of CD MSCDEX drivers dont load by default to DOS), but next time this happens, try going into your BIOS (usually your computer will tell you to press some button to enter "Setup") and change the Boot Order to CD first.

Unless you have an ancient CD player, your computer will at least attempt to boot off CDs. If you have a Setup CD, they almost always have some sort of mechanism that will work with that technique.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. Even if you do install 98, you should still be able to get setup to wipe it our and put a fresh copy of XP on.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is what I would try. If your bios supports booting from CD ROM, set that as your first boot device. You have to watch carefully when restarting, some bios make you press a key 'press any key to boot from CD ROM' and if you don't respond within the alloted time, they check for boot disks in the floppy drive and hard drive.