XP Owners

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Oct 2, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Today my HP PC is over a year old....(I know, how embarassing to have such a prehistoric machine!)

It came loaded with Windows ME (I think it's about the same as Windows 2000). Everyday, without fail, that software will lock-up/freeze on me several times and I have to do a hard boot and lose anything I was working on.

I've heard XP doesn't do this, so, I'm hoping that is the solution to the "freezing" problem (mouse doesn't work; Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, nada; bupkiss; just the monitor display).

So, I have two questions for all you XP owners;

1. Any glaring faults with XP, in your experience???

2. Any recommended way to get XP??? I really like my bigger monitor/CRT and the sound system I've set up with it, so I'm thinking that just replacing the PC tower (800MHz, 64MV SDRAM, 30 gig hard drive, CD-RW/ROM) is the best way to go.

But I'm a computer numbskull compared to many of you all.....(no, I won't assemble one from components; I don't know nearly enough).

I'd be most appreciative to hear about any reco's you have on this.
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    First off: *SMACK*

ME is _NOT_ 2K AT ALL....
    2k uses the NT kernel, while ME is 95 with a modified GUI.

I haven't had a problem with XP...other than that it's Microsoft. :p
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    http://www.accessmicro.com/ windows me is the worst OS m$ has ever put out. XP is light years ahead. Win2k is light years ahead. The two are not even close to the same OS. If your going to buy a new PC, you can usually save a few bucks getting the OS bundled in with it.

edit: check out the barebones and BYO systems at the above link or someplace like it. That way you can recycle the stuff you want from your old machine.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah I have XP professional. and again, 'cept the fact that its microsoft :D
  5. rickbass

You guys crack me up because it's so sad, isn't it????

It's like getting on your knees and asking a woman who dumped you for another guy if she wants to get back together. :rolleyes:
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    All the above posters are essentially correct.

ME is a futile attempt at a stable yet home friendly OS.

But Windows 2000 or Windows XP are pretty much the way to go.

But if you are going to get either W2K or XP, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade your memory to at least 128mb. Although 256mb is more like it. W2K and XP are memory intensive OS´es, more memory = better performance.

Also, do not, I repeat, do not upgrade from ME to W2K or XP. Back up your data to cd´s and do a clean install, that includes formatting your hard drive.
    Upgrading from a crappy OS leads to a crappy upgrade.

I hope this helps somewhat...
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    What Icez said, plus:

Any MS-Crap© OS will eventually start giving problems, XP Pro included. I've had mine for a year, and recently had to reformat and reinstall. Not sure why that is so...seems it doesn't like too many apps in the Registry, too many apps added/removed...who knows?

Re. memory, get as much as you can, but not less than 256MB. With 128MB it will work, but will be paging to disk a lot. 512MB seems to work great for both my home and office machines.
  8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I have found a site where you can get XP professional for $50. You also recieve a lot of neat microsoft/baseball stuff. You have to become a Microsoft "partner". All you need to do is create a "business" and fill out the forms to become a "partner". I got mine and it works great. So here is the link.

GO GET IT! THIS IS NOT AN UPGRADE, it is the real thing!
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i think you will need more thand 256mb.. it will work.. My friend has xp and has 256MB and it just doesn't run as smoothly as my computer does at 512MB
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Did you have to wait at the crossroads for Bill Gates to drop off your copy too? And what's with the reciept printed in blood? ;)
  11. rickbass

You all have been very helpful so far! Thanks for taking the trouble to tell me about your XP and for not turning this into a thread about "XP - Good or Bad???"

I know I want more than 256MB - it's kind of self-defeating to have a cable internet connection and not having the megs to use it to it's full-speed potential.

Sounds like a new tower loaded with XP and at least 512MB may be the best solution for someone like me.
  12. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Rick, im using win98se, and im having the same problem with the pc locking up. you cant even ctrl/alt/delete it. I just ordered a new tower with windows XP from cyberpower.com. I know a few people that have used them before.
    From some of the replys it might be worth re-formatting your hard drive, then re-loading software, if that works it will save a few pennies. When I get my new tower I think i'll do that to my old pc, if it works i'll give it to my son in collage. Good luck.

13. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Actually I recieved my copy within a few weeks.
  14. Rick,

I'm using XP Pro at work and it seems to work OK, but not as well as the Unix boxes.... I've got ME at home and it's bloody awful. The damn thing crashes a couple times a day.
  15. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I have to agree.... Although I still have ME loaded in a small partition, the majority of my work is done in XP.

Your safe with Win2K or XP, however, it appears that more business are providing drivers more readily for XP than Win2K.

I rarely have my machine lockup with XP, one once I think since I installed. As far as memory goes, I upgraded from 512 to 1024 mbs of PC800 ram, with little gain in performance (Other than when running heavy video editing apps).

As it was stated before, Backup, Backup, Backup. Do a clean install of the OS. Check websites of your hardware componets (Soundcard, Video card, other) to see if they have driver support for XP before you make the plunge. Make sure your hardware is XP compliant before you go ripping into.

I hope this helps, and yes...get rid of ME ASAP. :D

16. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i had to reformat my computer from ME, the computer was upgraded to 256mb of ram, its an AMD 1ghz, and running Win2k pro. Its great, the best thing i have done with this stupid computer, EVER.
  17. Just buy a Sony VAIO, rediculous performance, and mine came with XP

I had ME, hated it SO much
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have an emachine 433 w/ 265 meg of ram and a 15 gig hard drive (4 g free)

xp pro hasn't crashed once in almost 2 years, vs. 20+ bluescreens a day with 98.

plus i got xp for 25 bucks. :D
  19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, I will second that. I love mine. I also had ME before I got this one. Had nothing but troubles with it.
  20. What model do you have Ryan? I've got the 760 for my graduation gift. I opted to go for a better computer and keep my CRAPPY old moniter.

No one is gonna think to steal this, and it absolutely KILLS