Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XP Pro That Freezes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 5, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Anyone know or have any idea about why my MS XP Pro has been suddendly "freezing up" so often for the last week? By that I mean --- the cursor disappears, the mouse can't do anything, and Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing.............the PC is "frozen."

I've defragged and run my regularly updated Norton, but, to no avail.

It seems to happen almost always when I'm putting together a reply to a TB post OR when I pull down my "Favorites" and try to get to one of those sites.

I've had XP Pro for about 7 months and it just started this nonsense. It's driving me NUTZ! Is Bill Gates the Spawn of Satan, or what???

Any insight or thoughts would be most appreciated......(thankfully, JMX, one of the most tech-savvy persons I know of, is a mod here, now! :cool: ).

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thanks for the compliments.

I guess you didn't make any major changes lately?
    Check all the background programs, especially Norton for cpu consumption (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for task manager). Disable virus monitoring.

In most cases IME it's better to do a backup and do a fresh install, as problems as this are really hard to diagnose and cure.

3. rickbass

Will do, JMX. Thanks very much.

You always seem to know your stuff.........and, like me, you can cook, too!!!! .........(I'm a Henckel owner).

4. yeah well before you do that i suggest keeping your computer updated witht he windows updates, and getting SP1 installed asap.

5. Does it happen after a pretty regular amout of time? Heat can cause lockups. I had a student bring his box in during an A+ Core Hardware class I was teaching and the CPU was so caked with dust it froze up after a short period of time. Also, I went to some lady's house to fix her box and because it was locking up and the thing was under a HUGE pile a books. After 9-15 min the thing would just completely lock up. Dust in the fan's can also cause this weird problem. I also ran across this problem while diagnosing a sound card. If a card is not seated properly it can cause this to happen but its unlikely.

If i were in your shoes I would,

1 - Make sure its in a well vented area.

2 - Buy compressed air and clean out the powersupply fan (DO NOT OPEN THE POWER SUPPLY TO DO THIS, IT CAN KILL YOU!) the CPU fan and any case fans. (Check out an article I wrote on dust at http://www.compmaui.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2 )

3 - Update windows XP to the newest patches and service packs (service releases for you old timers) and get all the latest anti-virus updates.

4 - Not a necessary step but i highly recommend downloading a program called "Spybot - Search and Destroy" I install it on every box I work on in my shop. Spyware sucks and its a great FREE tool you can use to rid your self of that crap.

5 - email me at admin@compmaui.com if you have any questions or need any help. Hopefully it's not bad RAM.. but sense you dont see the BSOD i think its heat.

(SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT SOMTHING JUST POPPED INTO MY HEAD!) :p

Right click on "My Computer"
    Click "Manage"
    and in the system manager look for "Event Viewer"

Let me know of the last error you see after the crashes (when you restart) on the list. In both application and system. dont worry about security events, they do not apply here.

Good luck, and best regards!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with CitricGuy, it could be a heat problem. What kind of CPU are you running?

When I first built my AMD Athlon 1.13gHz system, I neglected to plug in the CPU fan. It would run for about 10 minutes, and then hard lock.

A few months ago, I started having lock up problems again. I defragged, uninstalled possible buggy software, streamlined the processes, added RAM, all to no avail. Then I tried a format reload. Still had the same problems.

About two weeks after the format reload, my PC would no longer power on. So I bought a new power supply. Since installing the new power supply, I have had no lockups at all. I think that the power supply was overheating, and the microprocessor controlled cooling fan was probably faulty.

7. rickbass

You guys are ZE BEST!!!

Thank you so much for trying to help me. I hope you believe in "karma"....what goes around, comes around.

I will try everything you have suggested, as appropriate. I would hate to try a total reinstall, especially because I'm a PC moron and would fear I'd screw it up.

I had a computer "doc" get rid of my godawful WindowsME and install my XP Pro for about $300....(that's a almost a night's paycheck at at a low-paying club, for me!!!!).

When he didn't return my CPU within 3 weeks, I got down hard, (but not abusive), on his case, and he delivered the CPU back to me with a disc that had no hand-writtten info about it. I was so angry, I just told him to get out of my house.

I just get so pissed at "Microcrap" and Bill "Sham" Gates. With the new music-composing-friendly software offered as standard on Macs, as long as you have a cheap keyboard, I'm really ready to make the switch when the time comes to get rid of this Microsoft garbage.