Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XP Requirements?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 25, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about upgrading to XP, but I was wondering if anyone here would kindly post the requirements.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know the requirements off the top of my head, but I have it running on my kid's PCs. Celeron 400, 128MB RAM, onboard graphics and sound use 20MB of that, so in reality it is running with 108MB. And it runs fine.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't go below 300Mhz for a processor. Make sure you have at least 1.5GB of hard disc space.

-Mike

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    XP likes a lot of ram too, mine really got a boost when I installed more than 512MB ram.

5. I have 256 MB of ram, and 19 GBs on my hard drive. I'm running a pentium 2 right now. Would I have to upgrade, or would it be fine, since I won't be running any heavy gaming?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's fine IME.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you can, upgrade to 512 of RAM. You know how Acme cabs are power hungry, and run more efficiently with more power? Well, XP is the Acme of computer operating systems.

I sent you a PM.

-Mike

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    If you are upgrading from Win 98, make sure you have XP drivers for every device in your computer before you upgrade. When I made that move, my computer was worthless for about a week because of driver issues.

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    XP isn't that great, you might as well keep 98 or whatever you are currently running.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Not to hijack but... I was thinking of upgrading from 2000 Professional to XP Home. I have the XP disc, so before I put it in to install, do I have to uninstall 2000 first? Also, do I have to uninstall all of my currently installed programs before I install XP? (Sorry, I don't know too much about computers) Thanks for any help. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

11. if you are going to try that, BassGod, I advise a dual boot. That way if it is not satisafactory you can EASILY remove it from your system. If you do like it, you can EASILY remove W2K from your system. Downside = need more disk space, and must install your apps again. No need to format. Best Option - second (or third) hard drive.
    verify your hardware comptiblity
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314062

Freaky - sounds to me like you can do the same thing, and from what I understand you're going to HAVE to do somethig with your system one way or the other

and get service pack 2 - The Vole never releases fully functional software. They (and others) operate on the principle that 90% working = 100% ready to ship

12. In general xp takes oh say 80-100Mb more ram than 2000 pro does, but you can do a lot to alleviate that. Mainly just turning off all or most the eye candy will do the trick (rt click my computer-->properties-->advanced-->performance.

I've sworn by 2000 for years but lately Im finding xp to be a little more optimized for game (and it also boots faster to boot :p )

Still I wouldn't recommend xp on a system with less than 512, under that I think 2000 is more appropriate.

13. Well its really best to do a clean reformat when installing a new os, which means backing up all your important data and reinstalling all apps. I would only recommend dual boot if you have multiple partitions already set up or need the older os for legacy apps.