1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XP Screensaver help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The screensaver on my Computer (Windows XP, Service Pack 3) doesn't come on. I noticed this when I downloaded a "The Dark Knight" screensaver that didn't load. I deleted it and my normal Starfield screensaver work. But now, it won't come on.

Any ideas why? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Is your video card built in to the motherboard or do you have a separate card?

If it's built in reinstall the video drivers. You may also have a faulty mouse (especially laser or wireless) or keyboard that is sending mini signals to the computer causing it not to display the screen saver.

You could try unplugging your mouse and keyboard and letting it sit for 2 minutes (setup your screensaver this way) and see what happens.

I have also seen the need to reinstall Direct X drivers when this has happened.

3. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    try another screensaver .. sounds like the dark knight screensaver could of goofed or removed one of the library files needed for the starfield saver. Also double check all of your settings on the screensaver tab of your display control panel esp in the energy saving section .

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It's a dell laptop. I really don't know what you mean by built in to the mother board.

I've reinstalled XP and I'm still having problems.

laptop. :)

How do I do that?

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I doubt that's it. a day or 2 ago... the screensaver stopped working on my second laptop.

Could a faulty power adaptor be causing this? One of the adaptors doesn't charge the battery. It only powers the laptop.

6. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    very possible if it is faulty it could be not supplying constant power to the laptop causing the laptop to go between AC mode and battery mode. so that is defiantly a possibility. Try the other power adaptor and see if the screen saver works.

Also try an DirectX 9.0c reinstall you can download it form the MS site here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/...11-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

let me know if it works or not if not theres other things to try :D

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    On the install, it's asking me:

"Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files"

I'm a little lost as to what to do.

8. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    just a assign a temp folder like c:\temp or or c:\directx for it its just needs a temp folder to extract the files to

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    That did nothing. :(

10. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    what error message is it giving you?

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I mean that I installed the Direct X and it did not fix the screensaver issue.

12. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    is ther any way you can send some screenshots of your settings so i cansee if anything is not right?

just use the printscreen key and load up paint and go to edit then paste then save them ..

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    one.
    two.

Even though I have hibernation enabled in the settings, It no longer shows on the shut down menu.
    three.
    four.

14. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    OK heres what i want you to do.. download and install this program

http://www.download.com/Advanced-Wi...086_4-10407614.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10875987

its a repair and optimization program. I have a feeling that screensaver you installed probably either goofed up something in the Registry or goofed up a library file ... more likely the first one ...

this program should be able to detect any registry errors you have and automatically repair them.