1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

X's <--- ???

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Bass Solo:"Yo P-nut Beat that thing..."
    p P P P P
    G----7------7------7------7-7-------
    D---------------------------7-------
    A-5x--5x-5x--5x-5x--5x-5x-----0xh5x-play 3x
    E-----------------------------------

part of the bass solo from "Feel so Good" by 311.

my question is this:

What are the 'x's for? and how do i play them? are they dead notes or muted? if they are, how and where do i mute them?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Looks like they are muted notes...this is a slap thing, right? It's common to slap a dead note so the part would be slap the 5th fret on A, slap dead note on A, pop 7th fret on G, etc.

How to mute: after fretting the first note, release the left hand finger pressure while staying in contact with the string. When you slap again you should get a thud instead of a note.

That's one of the most basic slap licks actually, he's just doing octave pops.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Alternatively, it might be a 'left hand slap' - fret the fifth fret on the A string and slap a D, bring the remaining fingers on the fretting hand down to mute the note and create an audible thump and then pop the D at the seventh fret on the G string.

Mind you, this is purely speculative - I don't know the song in question.

Wulf