Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

X's <--- ???

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Bass Solo:"Yo P-nut Beat that thing..."
    p P P P P
    G----7------7------7------7-7-------
    D---------------------------7-------
    A-5x--5x-5x--5x-5x--5x-5x-----0xh5x-play 3x
    E-----------------------------------

part of the bass solo from "Feel so Good" by 311.

my question is this:

What are the 'x's for? and how do i play them? are they dead notes or muted? if they are, how and where do i mute them?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Looks like they are muted notes...this is a slap thing, right? It's common to slap a dead note so the part would be slap the 5th fret on A, slap dead note on A, pop 7th fret on G, etc.

How to mute: after fretting the first note, release the left hand finger pressure while staying in contact with the string. When you slap again you should get a thud instead of a note.

That's one of the most basic slap licks actually, he's just doing octave pops.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Alternatively, it might be a 'left hand slap' - fret the fifth fret on the A string and slap a D, bring the remaining fingers on the fretting hand down to mute the note and create an audible thump and then pop the D at the seventh fret on the G string.

Mind you, this is purely speculative - I don't know the song in question.

Wulf