Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XS800H Yorkville owners cheque this out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rezdog, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    This past weekend I was visitng my favorite bass & amp repair shop and I picked up a JJ ECC83S to replace the Sovtek 12AX7WA that comes stock with the XS800H. I'm still infatuated with this head but being an old hot rodder I like to tweak stuff and besides the tube was less than 15 bucks. During a mid break in rehearsal on Saturday I grabbed a screw driver and to the horror of my band mates I opened the top up and and installed the JJ.
    The room got real quiet cause they just knew that I had wrecked it, until I switched it on and began to play. Great Googly Moogly! Had to jump back like a kid that just poored gasoline on a fire for the first time. No this isn't one of those 'you have to have golden ears to hear the difference' things. The sound difference was very apparent. Richer,louder and more of everything. This thing is now a loud tone monster.
    To be truthful I didn't think that a pre-amp tube/valve change would make all that much difference,with this head. Especially with something like a readily available JJ ECC83S. Although I read about it in the XS800H long thread, this actually worked and was a pleasant surprise. :hyper: If you are running one of these I highly recommend this tweak.

2. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Did the tube help to open up the amp up a little, ie: give it a bit brighter flavour?

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    The JJ opened it up alot. And as far as flavour.....everything + monosodium glutimate.
    Rezdog

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have the XS400 & have heard several times that if you replace the Sovtek the difference is incredible - might have to check that out...

5. I switched the Sovteks in my YBA 200 to JJs and found a huge difference.

6. jj? fill me in on what manufacturer that is?? also, just wondering, did Yorkville COMPLETELY take care of the problem with both the xs400 and 800 heads (noise, specifically humming)? Is there a seller on the web that's almost guaranteed to have no problems? sorry, it's just when i don't know much about this company, and i hear good things and bad things on the side, i just want to keep anything horrible sounding from reaching my ears. also, how would this sound with a avatar b212? too loud?? would i have to worry about blowing anything out being sensible (as far as the cab. i know it's efficient but i don't know if efficient means prone to blow itself out or if it just has a better amount of power than what it's claimed to be)?
    sorry for hijacking the thread guys, i'm really GASsing for the xs800 and i don't know a rediculous amount of info about half stacks or full stacks, just basic ohm calculationss and stuff

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Look up JJ/Tesla and check out the company history and reputation. The ECC83S tube should be available at many different sites like the tubedepot,thetubestore, etc. Oh if you're not too familiar with simple electronic stuff get a knowledgable friend or local tech to help out with installation. It should only take 5-10 minutes and it's pretty easy.
    As for the noise issue. From what I understand the early 400's were noisy. I HAVE NOT heard an XS8000H,including mine, with excess humming. The two cooling fans are almost dead quiet. Besides, if you need absolute dead silence it should be for sleeping and in that case turn off your amp and go to sleep. If your running single coil pick ups that aren't hum cancelling there's gonna be some hum no matter what the amp is. But other than that there's no constant HMMMMMMMM..............with the XS800H. And if you do run into one that does send it back to Yorkville and they'll fix it for FREE whether it's their fault or you dropped it or what ever. And you'll be hard pressed to find a better warranty.
    Oh ya, I've used 12" cabs for a long time and the XS800H should sound amazing with most of them.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have never had any problems whatsoever with my XS400. I even mentioned it to the owner of the store where I purchased it. He's sold over a dozen & has recieved ZERO complaints.

9. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Is there just one tube in the XS400/800?

What panel do you have to remove in order to replace the
    tube(s)?

10. everything PLUS msg? Now this is a mod that I will have to try!

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

There's only one tube...you just have to remove the top panel on the head...looks like a lot of work (screws to undo) to get the amp section out of the combo though...

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    The XS800H top panel has about a dozen screws that are removable with a philips head screwdriver. After removing the panel look from the back to the front right behind the pre amp controls and it's under a little square retaining panel held in by two more screws. Remove those two screws and gently remove that panel. The tube sits on a part of a circuit board that has No support under it, so be very careful when you remove and install. I wore non powdered surgical gloves when I did this and also braced the under side of the circuit board with my finger. Oh, make sure the power cord is detatched and be careful.
    Rezdog

13. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Thx Rezdog for your advice.

Is there any difference in tone amongst different brands?
    I was told it doesn't matter if it's a Mesa, GrooveTube, or for that matter, any brand, as long as it's a ECC83S, cos they're all manufacturered by JJ/Tesla anyway?

14. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    If it don't say JJ/Tesla don't do it. Just kiddin. I believe Groove Tube, Harma and some others relabel and sell them as 'selected valves' but I opted for the source. I don't know if their is a difference I just wanted to be more certain of what I was getting.
    Rezdog

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    mesa & groove tubes are just relabled overpriced versions of Sovteks.

16. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Isn't it worth every penny when Groove Tubes or others charge you more because they "hand selected" the tube to make sure it is "free of excessive hum, noise or adverse microphonics" & they give you 180 days warranty for that? :)

Oh, BTW, according to the Groove Tubes site, the ECC83S "might be best bet for bass". Can't wait until I try the new tube.

ps: Thx for your advice too RevGroove.

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I tried the ECC83S this weekend, actually by accident because I THOUGHT I was picking up a GT "Mullard", but I checked it out on the site and saw the "might be best bet for bass" line and figured, why not...

..I won't say too much but DANG!!! To be absolutely fair, maybe I should A/B it with a new Sovtek 12AX7 that isn't almost a year old, but the difference and gain and tone was INCREDIBLE!!! I totally have to re-think how I EQ the head if I'm going to stick with this tube.

Question: it's not clear from their history, but do GT make their own tubes or hand select them? It reads like they'll be re-issuing the GE line that they purchased, but what about their current models?

IMHO, I'll pay a little extra for a tube that's been through a QC process, doesn't bother me!

18. BassLow

BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    I actually emailed GT & asked if JJ/Tesla was the manufacturer amongst other questions but I didn't get an anwser to the manufacturer question. My other source (could be baised though) also pointed it out that their ECC83S was indeed made by JJ/Tesla.

Regardless, I also don't mind paying a few bucks more for a tighter QC.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    GT uses Sovtek mostly. Problem is people listen with their eyes and not with their ears.

20. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow, this is really interesting. I had heard this for their Traynor guitar amps (replacing the Sovteks), but this is the first that I've heard of this for their bass amps.

I love my XS800H as is, but I am always up for improving on a great thing.

What I don't understand is why Yorkville doesn't substitute these tubes themselves in the manufacturing process if they are so much better. Is the price difference that huge?

Also, if you replace the tube do you void their awesome warranty? I haven't seen anything to that effect, but that wouldn't be a good thing.