1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Xsonics 210CF gig review if I dare

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretlessboy, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    First of all I don't know about or have never used fEARFUL,fEARLESS, Glasstone, Schroeder so don't ask for a comparison...I don't have one. Maybe some one else does.
    It is a tiny little box that looks pretty tame. I plugged it in at home and it really does get loud at least for a living room but we all know a gig is a different scenario.
    Bobby Scott had a gig at Cotton Eyed Joe's which is a big honky tonk and we play loud. (3 guitars,bass drums). Our stage volume was a 7 on a scale from 1-10. I can run through the p.a. as I am the sound man but I usually try to get a good mix of p.a. to onstage cabinet. Live this cabinet gets loud and doesn't mind being pushed and actually prefers it. It had no problem holding its own volume/punch/focus wise. It handled the note on my Alien "B" string quite well with no real noticeable drop off . It is not a thin sounding cabinet by any means but it also does not have a big booming bottom. To call it anemic is also NOT a word to describe this box. It is a solid sounding loud cabinet and with a little tweaking you can get a fairly fat sound out of it. In my scenario it turned out well because of the solid sound and lack of boomy bottom. It is focused and tight and easy to control. It kept the stage sound crisp and clean. I drove it with one side of my Genz Shuttle12.0 I was able to put a little bass in the subs to make up some of the boom and the mix between to 2 was wonderful. When the gig was over the 32 pound 800 watt box went out as easy as it went in when I was fresh. The Xsonics 210CF does not have the low big bottom of the 212CF or the 215CF but it is a cabinet with a purpose. I am sure it would be a quite natural sounding upright bass amp or A/E bass guitars. While this cabinet is tiny...it is not a joke...it is real gear for real bass players.

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've noticed a bit more bass response with other cabs, after a few hours break-in time.

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    What, no graph for this cab Dennis?

4. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Cool. I've seen people debate it, but IME there can be a noticeable increase in low end response after a few hours.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There really is no general debate on the fact that some drivers' surrounds loosen up a bit over time, resulting in a bit more low end.

However, many cabs don't seem to change over time at all (i.e., cabs with less than heavy duty drivers, and cabs tuned very high, etc.). So, more of a 'some cabs do and some cabs don't' issue (and hence, some saying there is no break-in effect, and others saying there is).

The only debate I know of is if you need to do something 'special' to 'break in a cab'. The answer IMO is a clear no... play it for a while, and if the low end opens a bit, cool. If not, cool:)

I assume these cabs use pretty heavy duty drivers (like some of the Eminence and Faital neo's), and I would expect just a bit of 'relaxing' in the tone over the first few hours of playing. Pretty subtle, but it is often there, and is expecially noticeable if you are playing solo at home.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That would be highly unusual (i.e., that long of a period and that big of an effect).

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Something strange there, since it is typically very gradual and very subtle over time time phenomenon. Who knows. I wonder if there might have been a loose connection where you were only hearing a single driver for a while.

Does not sound like a break-in thing at all.

Doesn't really matter. For most, the only issue with break-in on some cabs is to not totally judge the tone of the cab at home right out of the box. Give it an hour or two, and in some cases, you will hear a 'softening' of the response of the cab, due to a smidge more low end resulting in a more even ratio of lows to highs.

If you are on a gig, and all of a sudden something changes immediately and significantly, something either was or is wrong and I would get it checked out.

8. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    It wasn't my experience, either.

Noticeable, but not dramatic like turning subs on. And gradual increase in bottom end over (something like) 10 hours playing time at moderate volume at home.

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Not that related but I just installed a 3015 in a TL606 cabinet.
    It has not changed tone after a good 4 hours of serious gig volume.

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Dennis,
    I was listening to your demo on my semi-crappy headphones here at work but, as usual, great job on the demo. Specs say that the tone profile is like an Eden 210XLT (one of my all-time fav cabs). What's your take on that?

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Similar output level? IMO, the 210XLT was pretty loud for a 210.

12. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I could use that 210 on alot of gigs.. but the 215 would be a one cab deal for me.. Even the point blank gig...with two Gits... the 215 really has me thinking...
    I dont know if it is mic placement or what .. but i actually like the 210 sonic balance in the room over the 215 that you got... Must be the room mic....
    mmm A pair of those 210s would be sleek

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    the 2155 CF peaks my interest

14. It has me interested too! The faital mid that Nick uses is pretty much one of the best mid drivers out there right now. The fact that there is the option to run it with the 15's, or the 15's on their own full range is also pretty interesting. Two voicings out of one cab. I can see where some people would prefer the tonal differences in the mids of the 3015's on their own in certain situations, but would want the smoothness and upper register extension of the faitial other times as well.

15. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Might the 2155 CF be available without the tweeter? I'm not a tweeter-hater. I just pretend to be one on Talkbass.

M. M. :)

16. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    So, Dennis, for a "single cab solution," would you recommend the 2x12 over the 2x10?

(Sorry if that question has been asked before.)

(Right now, I use two SVT210HE cabs, but half the time, I only carry one of them.)

17. southsidebass

southsidebass Banned

Mar 25, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    If you're in Wisconsin, I'd call Nick and drop by Xsonics demo studio and try a few. That's what I did with my Lakland and my amp. Bring your checkbook though. Way too many sweet choices!:hyper:

18. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    I'm in Ohio, but I make it to Chicago a few times a year to visit friends (coincidentally enough, in Oak Lawn). I think my next trip might have to include a test run. These cabs sound like they might just be my Holy Grail.

19. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

Sep 18, 2012
    I think that's my hangup. All psychological, I know. There is a "security blanket" effect that goes along with the ability to add a second cab for big/outdoor gigs (despite the fact that those are generally the ones where you need it the least from a sound reinforcement standpoint).

That said, two of these are definitely not in the cards for me. A) It's cost-prohibitive and B) my amp won't do 2 ohms (which again, makes it cost-prohibitive, as I'd need an amp that would). Hence, looking for the single cab solution. Gotta make sure I perform due diligence, though, as the price point is no pocket change.

20. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    I wonder what it would take to get mine modified to a 2155... hmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.