1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xsonics Cabs w/ Class-D Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Aug 13, 2019.

1. I'm told these cabs won't work with a class-D poweramp. Why would that be?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Don't buy any real estate from whoever told you that.

jeff7bass, lomo and Count Bassie like this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I call BS....

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There is something about crossover designs and iffy Class D amp designs in that if there is a fault in the crossover or a driver, a resonant tank circuit may occur frying the amp. This is @agedhorse territory.

But other than that, it's BS

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. Lol, ok!

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's a preposterous claim IMO. Are you sure you didn't mis-read or mis-interpret wast was said? Was there a "why" given?

IF there are problems with ANY cabinet working properly with class D amps, it's going to ultimately be traced back to a defect in either the design or execution of the speaker as a system or the crossover's implementation creating an illegal load to the amp.

While some class D amps have extensive protection against such illegal loads (included to increase long term reliability), not all include such protection and may fail under such conditions. An illegal load condition can affect traditional linear (class AB/G/H) amps too, but in different ways, and since protection schemes are not always as robust may cause failure when such conditions are encountered.

7. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I have an XSonics cab in the classifieds. Someone snatch it up quick - it may be the only XSonics cab that works with class D amps! :smug:

jeff7bass, S-Bigbottom and agedhorse like this.
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more bizarre that statement appears!

Count Bassie likes this.
  9. Ok, thanks for the light on that. I didn't understand it myself, though from purely layman's perspective.

Cool, Imma carry on!

10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Mine sounded fine . Also used with a Crown XLS 1500 bridged and it worked great . S7300590.JPG

Count Bassie likes this.
  11. I'm going to see this amp tonight, hopefully it's fine. Spoke with the guy last night and he said it wouldn't make any sound with any of his class D amps... Mesa Subway, Genz Benz Streamliner, an Ampeg SVT-7.

We'll see I guess. Hopefully this works, a small, potent cab would be great, I'm having joint issues... otherwise I'd go for something less spendy. I'll be back...

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    This would be a weird coincidence... I wonder if he is using a 1/4" plug shoved into the center of the SpeakOn jacks on the amp???

13. It's got a Speakon and a 1/4" phone jack on the back plate, side-by-each. That would be an odd thing to do... but I'll ask him.

14. Bring your own speaker cable that you know works, he may be using them cheap connector cables that do not make good connections.

Count Bassie and agedhorse like this.
  15. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    makes no sense

16. Seems the general consensus among our tech-savvy community.

17. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I have owned 2 XSonics cabs and ran them exclusively with Class D heads - zero issues.

Count Bassie likes this.
  18. Just came back with it. I arrived at the guy's house, plugged my head into the Xsonic 2155CF, and, lol, having forgotten to turn up my volume knob I thought, "Oh NO!! It's true!!", lol, then I turned up my bass' volume knob.

It's fine, tons of low end and girth in the mids. Smacky up high, loud, loud, loud. We got to chatting and in my quiet satisfaction I forgot to ask why he wasn't getting it to work. We're still in touch though, so I'll run it by him again and maybe he'll have some tell-tale remembrance of what he was doing when he tried the class-D heads.

Anyway, yep, it works! I'm playing it at our outdoor reggae gig tomorrow. Thanks everybody for chiming in and being helpful and supportive! I appreciate it! And there goes another testimonial to the forward and helpful disposition of the good folks at Talkbass.

19. What amp did you run it with and what are you using tomorrow?

Got to know what is making this cab work. ;)

20. Trace Elliot GP12SMX preamp into a Peavey IPR 1600. I'm using 1 side of the Peavey @ 4 ohms, until I can get a bridge cable made for the 1600- I would like to have the headroom... but for now this will carry. And this is what I'm using tomorrow.