XTC MANIIAAAA!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jewbass, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Jewbass

Jewbass

Apr 30, 2009
    New York, NY
    Ok, who else loves the most underrated band in the world? XTC!

So, where shall I begin...best song off of each album of course! (Excluding Go To, White Music, and Mummer)

1. Drums And Wires
    Lets see, I think I would have to go with "When Your Near Me I Have Difficulty" it's such a catchy little tune, with smart lyrics...and it was one of those early Partridge songs that really showed his true talent.

2. Black Sea
    Personally, I think "Burning With Optimism's Flames" takes the cake on this album. This was never one of my favorite XTC albums, but I've always loved this song, great bass too. :D

3. English Settlement
    "Senses Working Overtime". Nuff said, one of the catchiest choruses of all time.

4. The Big Express
    So, I definitely don't consider this a very good album overall, but there are 2 or 3 strong points. Out of those 2 or 3, I think "Shake You Donkey Up" is a really funny and interesting song, with a great guitar riff. If you haven't really gotten into that album, I suggest that song.

5. The Dukes Of Stratosphear (25 O'Clock and Psonic Psunspot)
    Ok, well I think most people definitely consider this compilation of "rip off" records of late sixties bands one of XTC's better record(s). I love so many of these songs, but I think my favorite has to be "Vanishing Girl", and that's possibly my favorite XTC song of all time. Wow. Everything about it is just perfect, the lyrics, the harmonies, not to mention the bass! :bassist:

6. Skylarking
    Now, this one was hard. Holy...well this is truthfully the hardest one to say one favorite song, but I think it would have to be "Ballet For A Rainy Day". I fell in love with that song the first time I heard it, what a beautiful melody, and great lyrics, about a side of Andy's life not most people know of...his art.

7. Oranges And Lemons
    This was one of the first albums I got into, and I would have to say "Here Comes President Kill Again" is my favorite tune off of it. I know most people don't hold this opinion, but for some reason it gets my attention every time I listen to that drumroll snare drum at the
    beginning.

8. Nonsuch
    Right up there with Skylarking and The Dukes for me, great set of songs. I love a lot of songs on this one, but for me, "Rook" is the one. This could also possibly be my favorite XTC song, it's so intense, and the fact that you don't know what the lyrics mean makes it even better.

9. Apple Venus Volume 1
    This one was really hard, just because of two songs, "River Of Orchids" and "Your Dictionary"...but I'm gonna go with "Your Dictionary". One of the smartest songs ever recorded in my mind, all about his x-wife. The whole "positive words spelled out to negative words" is pure genius.

10. Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2)
    This was another two song toughie (from a two piece band at this point). But I'm gonna have to go with "I'm The Man Who Murdered Love". One of the catchiest XTC songs for sure, and a really great bass line. (See that never hurts!)

Your Turn! Tell me what all you guys think!

2. Anyone who doesn't think "Black Sea" and "Drums And Wires" are their best albums are pansies...

Ok, kidding (kinda ;) ) but seriously my beef is that they're overlooked for a really lively new-wave punk band who could put on high energy sets. Especially when bands cover XTC, it's like "Okay, look, ditch the horn section and all the other stuff and just play 'Helicopter' really loud and make everyone dance!

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, I'm a big fan of all things XTC. English Settlement was my first XTC album, and from there on, it would be tough to pick a fav. Ok, Skylarking. It's a perfect album. 1000 Umbrella's. And produced by Todd Rundgren, my hero. Too bad they called it quits, 'cause they really were one of the "smartest" pop bands of all time.

4. The timing of this thread is perfect. I was just listening to Skylarking and thinking what a great album that is, but it's the only XTC album I own or am familiar with. So, what are your thoughts on where I should go next? Black Sea? Drums and Wires?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Oranges and Lemons.

6. I dig them.

7. Jewbass

Jewbass

Apr 30, 2009
    New York, NY
    Oh man, your lucky your first album is Skylarking. The best. I say try getting Drums + Wires, to get into early New Wavey-Poppy XTC, and try out either apple venus vol. 1 or nonsuch for their later stuff, some of those songs are great. Also try out the dukes of strat. CD, it's pure genius.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021