XTC vs Adam Ant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by St_G, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. XTC

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Adam Ant

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Flansburgh and Linnell

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Content vs. Form. Beatle-based pop vs New Romantic.

There is no right or wrong.

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I voted for them nice lads from TMBG.
    Second place to XTC.
    Adam Ant a fair bit behind.

Admittedly, neither XTC or Adam are acts I'd have ever actively looked to listen to., so I may be doing them some dis-service.
    The Giants, though, I consider very clever and creative, and always worth a listen.

St_G likes this.
  3. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm afraid I don't know what Flansburgh and Linnell is. I imagine some sort of shortbread cookie manufacturer or purveyor of carrots and carrot related paraphernalia. I voted for Mssrs. Ant and Co.

4. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Dead on, on both counts.

Rimshot likes this.
  5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    XTC all the way.

10cc likes this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

XTC, while they might have been a bit idiosyncratic for some people and did have some fallow periods, were one of the most brilliant overlooked/underrated bands ever. Even when they occasionally wore their influences on their sleeves, they did so with loving care. Dukes of the Stratosphere out-Rutled the Rutles, as they mashed up the entire psychedelic period. “Black Sea” is immortal.

GregC and 10cc like this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I’d give TMBG second runner up; they were(are)very clever lads, very funny, but sometimes a bit too clever, sometimes smarmy. Adam Ant was entertaining in a tongue-in-cheek way, but without a long shelf life and a lot of empty calories.

10cc likes this.
  8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    XTC without a doubt. Check out their new documentary "This is pop" no other band reinvented themselves like they did except for the Beetles.

TMBG

Then Adam and the ants. "king of the wild frontier"

Adam Ant sucked and comparing him to XTC is about the same as comparing Motley Crue to Scorpions or Green Day to Dead Kennedys

GregC and Marial like this.
  9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013

GregC, Marial and Michedelic like this.
  10. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I love XTC! I never liked Adam Ant during his 15 minutes. TMBG's first three albums are really good, but they got a bit repetitive after that.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021