Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XWIRE transmitters -- are they universal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kurt M., Jun 14, 2005.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Some of you might have caught my last post about my non-working Xwire unit. Are the transmitter/receiver combinations universal? I think this may be the case. I mean they aren't like the usual wireless that requires a transmitter and receiver on the same frequency. I assume that's why you can choose any of 5 channels on the transmitter. Reason I ask is that I've found an extra receiver and may be willing to give it a try to see if it will solve my problem.

2. Yes, they are all on the same 5 freqs in the 900Mhz band.

Sennheiser bought xwire out, came out with their version. The Sennheiser units are on the same freqs, only 4 channels instead of 5. They skip over channel 2 of the Xwire units.

But since Xwire is 20 bits, and Sennheiser is 16 bit encoding, you can NOT use the Sennheiser xmitter on Xwire receivers, they're not interchangeable. They use the same freqs though, so they'll till interfere with each other if you try to use same freq and you're using both units.

Kind of weird figuring out which channels interfere, Xwire channels 1, 3, 4, 5 map to Sennheiser channels 1, 2,3, 4.

Randy

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Randy,

Thanks for the great information. You seem knowledgeable. Do you know any place that services these units?

4. Supposedly Sennheiser will work on them. Not sure though. They bought out Xwire. I seem to remember seeing something on the net about it, but I don't have a link handy.

Not so knowlegeable, just happen to have both the xwire and the sennheiser version, I read the freqs at one point to see how the 4 Senn freqs mapped onto the 5 Xwire freqs cause I was going to use Xwire for bass and Senn for headet mic.

I knew Xwire was gone, couldn't be replaced, so when they discontinued the Sennheiser and they were going for a couple hundred bucks, I picked it up as the next best thing to the Xwire. Meantime, until Xwire breaks, I could use Senn for headset mic.

Randy