1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

XXl bass version.... levels?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anybody else feel that it;s a great pedal that suffers a bit from having to hot a level knob?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Probably to make up for the wide varieties of bass pickups and preamps out there. I find that this is commonplace a lot more on bass pedals for this reason than guitar pedals.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Any tips on mitigating the effect?

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    ya just gotta play with it alot.
    i own the xxlb... it's a little crazy sometimes... it gets loud and screamy and loud and loud and piercingly loud and screamy....
    but it sounds amazing.
    so i tweak the warp (usually between nothing and the little arrow thingies), keep the level around... 8:30-9:30, the drive is actually off most of the time... (it's important to remember that the drive does not boost the level...), and the tone i keep at about 8:00 to 10:00.
    it's the only effect i use that usually has all the knobs down close to "0."
    but it works. :D :bassist:

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I'll take some more time with it tonight.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    When I had mine it was always too loud or too quiet, and switching between basses just made it worse. Somewhere around 10:17 was the perfect level, which of course was nearly always impossible to find.