Y-Cable for two cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Aug 1, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright, here's the predicament. Have two 8 ohm cabs, both loaded with the same speakers and love 2x15 setups. However, the head is slightly damaged, the jack is busted and I've torn it apart and can't figure out why it's not working. I bought it this way for $20.

Anyway, it's a Peavey Mark VI bass head, capable of 4 ohms, and I've got a pair of 8 ohm cabs I want to run. The second jack is busted, so would a Y-cable suffice to power both? Electronically, my math says this will work for 4 ohms, two 8 ohms in parallel.

Would this work, or would I need something else?
  2. Isnt that basically doing externally what the head does internally ?

Sounds fine to me, but dont go on that

3. Neither of the cabs has two input jacks on it?

Regardless, this will work just fine, just as long as you use speaker cable to do it. Instrument cable will work in a pinch but you're a lot better off with real speaker cable. The load seen by the amp will be 4 Ohms.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What I was going to do was wire up a Y box with one out and two ins, basically like a Y cable, only with heavier wire.

Just want to check this by a few dozen people, because I love my $20 head, and $50 cab, and the other cab is so ugly a friend of mine just gave it to me.
  5. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

you'd be loosing some dampning and power, among other things if you were to use insterment cable (which is uasually single conductor with a ground, around 22ga.)

use speaker (twisted pair) or sjoow power cable.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Email these guys:
    They can make you one pretty cheaply if you want. But if you have 2 ins/outs on one of your cabs, you can just chain em.

7. Hence, my comment that it would work in a pinch....:D ;)
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    After all this mess, it turns out the ugly cab had two ins... sheesh.
  9. :D