1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Y won't my why box work???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Aug 24, 2005.

1. :help: At the moment I am exploring the options if splitting my signal into 2 using the dual wet/dry outputs on the digitech bass whammy and applying different effects to each part before recombining the signals and sending the mix to my amp. I realise this could be done with a small mixer but i was hoping there was an easier way. I went to the electronics store and bought some bits in an attempt to make a Y box. The box works but adds a terrible amount of nosie to the signal. I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer me any advice on this matter?

My box consists simply of 3 female mono 1/4" jacks connected in a Y shape with 4.7k resistors.

Thanks

2. passive devices shouldn't add that much noise. Your problem is likely to do with poor shielding or a lack of ground continuity from guitar to amplifier. I guess it could also be causing a ground loop or 2.

4.7k sounds a little low to me also.

good article here on this subject.