Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Y won't my why box work???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Aug 24, 2005.

1. :help: At the moment I am exploring the options if splitting my signal into 2 using the dual wet/dry outputs on the digitech bass whammy and applying different effects to each part before recombining the signals and sending the mix to my amp. I realise this could be done with a small mixer but i was hoping there was an easier way. I went to the electronics store and bought some bits in an attempt to make a Y box. The box works but adds a terrible amount of nosie to the signal. I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer me any advice on this matter?

My box consists simply of 3 female mono 1/4" jacks connected in a Y shape with 4.7k resistors.

Thanks

2. passive devices shouldn't add that much noise. Your problem is likely to do with poor shielding or a lack of ground continuity from guitar to amplifier. I guess it could also be causing a ground loop or 2.

4.7k sounds a little low to me also.

good article here on this subject.