Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ya' got a Music Man 5....and ya don't like it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichBriere, Apr 30, 2003.

1. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I'm in a bit of a dilema. I've decided to trade in my as-new Red Roscoe Beck for a Music Man 5........but I'm not sure which model and no stores within 100 miles have any Music Man basses. I understand that MM's have a thinner, narrower neck on their 5's. Are they different than they were a year ago....no.....make that 2 years ago, the last time I played one?? Is the Sterling 5 different structurally than the Sting Ray?

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I like mine but...

I played a SR5 in the Bass Centre last year and it seemed the same as my '96' ahem vintage one, apart from the neck finish. I don't know when Ernie Ball changed from a waxed neck to a satin finish one. This may cause you a problem re which you prefer and which you get. It's sort of spam but as I'm not affiliated in any way contact bass central and have a chat with Gard Beaver or Scott. They have a load of MM's and should between them give deatails of any changes.

BTW re models there's finger board options or piezo thats it. BTW the piezo is 'nice'.

Also I've answered the question as asked, personally I never buy a bass I have not played.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There is no Sterling 5.

The Sterling 4 is the 4 string version of the Stingray 5, so if you want a 5, that's all you can get from Music Man, except the Bongo bass.

Wanna test drive one for the board, Rich?:D

4. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Looks like it's time to saddle up Nellie and take a gallop into the big city!

In spite of being a devout MTD player, I've become a huge fan of Tony Levin as well. The recent conversation about John Deacon from Queen reminded me of seeing him several times with a Sting Ray as well.

Since I've been a good boy and chopped my collection from 31 basses down to four, I'm considering giving myself a NEW LIFE gift.......out goes the Roscoe and in comes the MM. :^>)

What do you guys know about the Bongo? Has anyone played one?

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

www.richbriere.com

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was hoping you'd go out and get that info for us!;)

6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm currently cruising the Ernie Ball site...........I just looked at the bongo and....uhmmmmm.... I believe I may have turned into a conservative Republican. :)

I haven't found a color chart yet..........but I'm still looking.

BTW........there was a comment made about possible SPAM by recommending Gard and the guys.

Having been in sales and marketing for a number of years, I find their comments on here refreshing and I appreciate hearing from others who feel the same way. Retail is a funny game and I applaud the way Bass Central SEEMS to do business. I've never heard anything bad about them...........and the same goes for several other dealers who take the time to treat their customers right.

We'll: www.katherineaeliasband.com :be playing at the Rover Launch at Cape Canaveral in June and I'll probably be forced to stop by and spend some time visiting Gard and the "Merry troupe of dancing bassists". As a matter of fact, I've invited Gard to join us at the launch party.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

www.richbriere.com