Ya gotta see this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jvtwin, Aug 9, 2001.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Ya thought a 6 string bass was it? This is a Conklin custom (uh...duh!) NINE:eek: string bass. It belongs to a guy name Jean Baudin of a band called Nuclear Rabbit in San Francisco.

And I get tangled up in my fiver!:p
  2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Bloody hell, think how much he spends on strings.
  3. PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    Ha...and guitarists say we only play bass because we can't handle six strings...The proof is in the conklin. They make some of the nicest looking basses IMO. I mean just look at John Turner's "family photo".

Hey jvtwin, what kind of music does Nuclear Rabbit play? I'm interested in hearing this guy play that 9 stringer.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, we've had a couple pics of him before. I guess John Turner knows him, or did. According to a couple websites, he plays Warriors now.

If I knew a little more about the band, I'd probably be interested in buying their cd. Could anyone tell me more about it, please? :D

One thing I noticed in that pic is his left hand...looks kinda scrunched up, almost like he has bad thumb position. Hhhmmm, 9 string bass and bad technique...

Though, that is only based on the picture, so I obviously could be wrong. Just looks funny.

Btw, anyone know how old this dude is?
  5. How is that thing tuned? F# B E A D G C F A# ? Thats the only way I could think of tuning it. Wouldnt a very low C# be like, subsonic or un amplifiable?
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Bill Dickens plays a 9 string too...
  7. you think 9 string is alot huh?

well at my local music store they sell 12 string bass and DOUBLE neck 12 strings!

check dat out for moronic :)

i bet they are sooo good:rolleyes:

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, except those 12 strings are just 4 strings with octave strings. How's that for moronic? ;) :D
  9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    But Jaco only need four!! ;)
  10. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I think this is getting to the point of where people just want to show off. My brain would overload trying to think...
    There are excellent players just using 4. And i at first thought 5 was 1 too many.
  11. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    what is that on his headstock, a flashlight?
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I didn't even notice the bass, just his outfit...
  14. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Nuclear Rabbit to me actually sounds alot like Mr. Bungle. I really like their stuff..they're on MP3.com so go get some samples from there.
  15. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nuclear Rabbit is awesome!!! There's nothing better than metal with slap bass!! How cool is that? That is a wicked bass. If he can handle all of those strings, more power to him. I'll just stick to my four strings for now. Boggles the mind how they can play those monsters (and I mean that in the nicest way possible, JT and all of the other Talbassers who play with five strings and more).
  16. I think that Allen Woody ( RIP ) of the Allman Bros had an 18-string Modulus. It was a 6-string with each string doubled twice with octaves.

I currently play a 7-string. However, I played with some guys last night and I probably could have gotten away with a 5-string. There is some music that I play where a 7-string is required but I could see myself enjoying the extra range of an 8 or 9-string.

Here's another 9-string:

I think I played that one at NAMM a few years ago. It may have been an 8 that I tried though.

I'll probably get a 9-string someday. I don't know if I'd go for a low F#. Maybe a low-A. Then I could use a standard low-B string and just tune it down. F# strings are hard to come by from what I understand.

- Dave
  17. Nice hat :D
  18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    But did he sound any good???:cool:
  19. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Hey Powermad - I'm not sure, I found this site just surfing around. They have some demo tunes and more pictures on their site at nuclearrabbit.com Their claim to fame is a mix of any style mix in with a metal/punk sound.

I was just stoked by the nine string and had to share. I've never seen one short of a Chapman stick!