Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ya know, stick with watcha know!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Apr 7, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    So, lemme explain.
    As some of ya may know, I flipped my Fodera Emp 5 for a F Bass BN5 (Adrian Garcia's former bass) and a Modulus Genesis 5.
    Not interested in the Mod Gen 5, so it went right to the shop for sale (anyone interested?!??!). Nice as hell, just not me.
    Now, I really dig F Basses. I REALLY dig them, and when this BN5 came, I was blown away. Adrian was right, it is sweet as hell.
    Plays like butter and sounds like 1000lbs of dark chocolet is being poured from me cabs.
    Heaven from all accounts. A real keeper.
    In fact so nice,after it came my Sadowsky 5 just hung on the wall in my studio.
    BTW, I'm a Sadowsky nut. Freakin' love the things.
    Anyway, so tonight I'm down in my little studio just goofing around playing to a recording of a rehersal from my Steely Dan cover band.
    Just muted my bass track and off I went on the F Bass with a big azz smile on my face- sorta like this one: :D
    Well, still hanging on the wall behind me was my Sadowsky, just waiting for it's turn. After about 45 min of this nonsence I took a break. Went upstairs, got a cold one from the fridge and headed back down.
    When I got there for some reason I grabbed the Sadowsky.
    After 3 seconds I was home.
    Damn, that thing just can't do anything wrong.
    Sure it may not play quite as easy as the F Bass, but ya know..........it just fit. I mean it just WAS. Ya know???
    The F Bass isn't going anywhere any time soon, but I don't think it will ever replace my Sadowsky as #1. A close 2nd yes.
    But #1.....................I dunno.... :D

2. Hi Mike,

You're just an other victim of GF's!!! Canada kills you! lol
    Yes, those basses are fantastic..I think you can play what you want, it will sound great (if you manage to make it sound of course!!)
    Congrats!!
    Can we have pics sir??

Vince

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I'm listening... and I am a patient man. ;)
    i can understand, though- F Bass is HOME for me.
    I still have a love for J style basses. Usually the Fender ones...
    congrats on owning 2 basses you love.

4. *cough cough splatter cough*
    ermm, whats an F bass? :bag:

Chips :ninja: (now in ninja mode)

5. What is an F bass !!!!!!!! Heathen. Sacriledge.

Seriously, an F bass is a brand of bass made by luither George Furnalleto (spelling?). Very sought after basses, of the highest quality.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    http://www.fbass.com/

And I hear you about certain basses having that mojo where they feel like home, even if arguably better ones tempt you away. I recently went down to a music store to try out some higher end 6-strings on a whim. I could say that the tone, feel, and playability on these were second to none, but when I went home that day, it was my Fairlane that immediately felt like home and thus best to me.

7. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    You have two basses you really like?

Don't worry, be happy!

8. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Dude, you're getting all sappy on us and it's kind of weird.

But seriously though, it's totally rad that you have those machines and you love them both. I'll have to check out that F sometime soon...

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Cripe!!!
    Sappy?!??!?! Really??!?!?!
    Hell, didn't mean for that to happen!!!!!

Yeah, it's kinda nice having two 5's that are knocking me out like this.
    I'm still more at home on my old azz Jazz though. That thing has bee around the world with me, and as quirky as it is, nothing comes close to it.
    I don't play it out much because I'm worried that something/someone will happen to it. It might not be worth much on the market, but it's worth more than all my other basses and a few of you guys basses as well!!
    Only problem with it though, it weighs a million pounds!!!
    No kidding it's 13+.

F Bass basses are truly amazing, and keep waiting Adrian!!
    But you will be the first one I let know if something goes down!
    For now though, the F & the Sad are splitting the work load.

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    On a more generic level, the same thing happened to me regarding the number of strings on the basses I play. I tried very hard to be a 5-string guy, and then for a brief period, I tried to be a 6-string guy, but it all came back to 4.

Its very understandable that you would come back to the Sadowsky.

Although, all that being said, there's a lot of us on the forum that really long for such a dilemma as having to pick between a Sadowsky and an F-Bass for the #1 slot in the bass stable. Good stuff indeed!

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, I was getting a little worried there you getting all cocky with that fancy piece of buckeye burl, welcome back to earth! :D By the way I was by Low Down tonight and Ray Burton (Nelly, CC Winnans) was there, I forgot how much of a monster that man is, I remember when you sat in with his group down at the State Bar. Anyway I got the SB1 hooked up to the pedal board it is hot, You'll have to check it out sometime.
    Steve B