1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ya never know who you may be subbing for...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ryco, Aug 4, 2007.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I was invited to play a last minute jazz gig last Wednesday night for a $75 a plate dinner. Paid well for these parts. Backing a local trumpet player who comes from a big musical family down here on the coast. I had nothing else going on so I took the gig.

I figured we would just be background music while the dinner guests were eating and maybe they would dance after the meal.

No. Turned out to be a full fleged concert with all eyes on the band. Was a little over whelming. I've been playing forever in lots of situations, but this caught me a little off guard. People actually paying full attention, clapping after solos and songs. I'm used to occasional polite clapping after a tune, but not thunderous applause.

Found out after the gig that the band that was originally supposed to play the gig consisted of Jay Roberts - gtr, Todd Johnson - bs, Mic Gillette - trpt, and a lady singer from LA. Glad I didn't know before hand! This group of great musicians bailed at the last minute and my little jazz trio + trumpet got the "could you help us out" call.

Hey Todd - ya missed out on some killer grub! People were very complimentary. Don't know the moral of the story -- but a good time was had by all