Yahoo & AOL to charge Senders of E-Mail

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LajoieT, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Doomed from the start.

13 vote(s)
  2. Destined to be hacked.

8 vote(s)
  3. An Idea that's time has come.

2 vote(s)
  4. Maybe, Maybe not.

2 vote(s)
  5. I prefer the Carrot Express.

7 vote(s)
  1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i guess we voted the same.

it will be hacked.
  3. I hard some where that up in the north here..Canada, Canada post r whatever our mail system is caled, is wanting to start to charge people for sending e-mails. Why, because postal service is down because are sending e-mail much more.

Corect me if I am wrong, but doesn't the $30 or whatever is payed a month to the internet companies to connect me already me paying to send e-mails?
  4. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Its just a reason for Big Business to get more money. I hope they do that. I'll have some fun.
  5. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There were a lot of RUMORS around here about the same thing, and they were just that. RUMORS!!!!

The post office might have a leg to stand on if:

I've got quite a few viewpoints on this, My vote went for being hacked, cause I think that'll be the highest profile fiasco in the whole deal, but I also appreciate the irony of Yahoo and AOL setting up filters that filter out spam that end up deleting a LOT of corporations e-mails, and then offering to let them through for a fee.:rollno:
  6. I think it would be more like a government subsidy going to the post office than an actual user fee. Much like a certain percentage of the cost of blank CDs here goes to RIAA type organizations to help offset piracy... except that makes sense compared to helping Canada Post survive as an obsolete service.
  7. Carrots. Thats all it comes down. Carrots.

That, and this idea of charging for email is just proof of coporate america [insert happy bunnies in place of foul language here]!!!
  8. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, but as I said, these are simply internet fueled rumors. They have about as much chance of passing such fees as they do of putting a fee on TOFU manufacturers to help offset the reduced profit of the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  9. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    the post office makes more money now because of shipping costs on internet business, such as ebay and other types of ecommerce, except they are so inefficient that UPS and others like them take the biggest slice of the pie. It all boils down to efficiency, and making up charges wouldn't lead to a better system.

But I think this isn't so much charging for profit as charging as a system to reduce fraudulent email.