Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yahoo phone scam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jun 11, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ok, here's a weird one for everyone..

Today my dad called me and told me that a relay operator had called asking for me and they said that the person who wanted to speak with me was from Yahoo :eyebrow: He then asked what my high school mascot was :eyebrow: My dad answered him and then asked what all this was about. The operator said that he wasn't allowed to get involved but he's getting suspicious because apparently the person from "Yahoo" was asking all sorts of questions, and apparently "What is Rob's high school mascot" was one of them.

After I hung up with him I went and changed my yahoo password because I believe the mascot question is the secret question that I picked in case I ever forgot my password.

What does everyone else make of this?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How did they get your number in the first place? Did you have it in your yahoo profile?

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It was my old phone number when I lived with my folks. It was still in my yahoo account. They make you give your phone number and address, but it's still not public.

*edit* You don't have to give your phone number, so I took it out now. But still, it was never public, and if they wanted my password they would've had to already have had it in order to get in there and get my phone number.