Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ya'll tell me about your cell phone providers (Everyone from Central TX read this!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    OK. My cell phone is dead. Won't charge 90% of the time, and when it does charge it doesn't get a decent signal.

Here's the real problem--I'm just under a year into my 2 year contract. Still have about 13 months left to go, I believe. This means that I'm not eligible for an upgrade, and if I buy a new phone I have to pay list price.

So, I'm weighing my options. I've had Cingular for about 3 1/2 years now and have hated it the whole time, just never changed. Service doesn't seem to be very reliable, and the billing department has got to be filled with the biggest bunch of mentally challenged people in the United States.

At this point, I can either

1. ) buy a cheap, POS new phone for list price and pay an absolutely ridiculous amount of money, or

2.) pay the fee to cancel my service with Cingular, move my service elsewhere, and pay a very cheap price for a new phone and start fresh with a different provider.

Now, I know that I can get a cheap phone for less than what it'll cost me to cancel my service (which I believe is a $175 early termination fee) and get a new phone with the rebate. Funny thing is, however, that it's not a drastic difference--by my figures, I can cancel my service and get an awesome phone for barely more (about $50) than what it would cost me to get a really crappy phone at list price.

I guess this super long post was just to get ya'lls opinions on what I should do. For those in central Texas, what service provider do you use, and do you like it??

The options in Waco that I will consider (i.e. no Sprint) are T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Nextel.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ty,

didn't you get the over priced insurance for your phone?

i took my number from ATT to T-Mobile - free phone every year - ya get 1 year contracts and service has been great!

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hmmm....T-Mobile. Thanks! :)

I really can't complain too much about the phone. Given my circumstances, however, you would think I WOULD have the overpriced insurance.

I got my new phone on May 10 of 2003. On May 23 of 2003, I flipped my ex girlfriend's car 2 1/2 times. The phone proceeded to leave the cupholder that it was in, fly through the windshield, and break apart into about 4 pieces. Once my girlfriend got there, she went looking for it, saw that it was broken, and left it. When we went to look at the car after I was able to move again, the guy from the wrecker place walked up and handed my phone, and nothing was missing except the back of it that holds the battery on. I put the battery in it, flipped it open, and voila! it worked!

It took quite a beating, and to fly 60 feet down asphalt is no small feat for any piece of electronic equipment. Has worked perfectly until the last few weeks, but I guess I've been pretty lucky as it is.

You gonna make the g2g?

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So I'm not the only one who hates Cingular? Sweet.

Here's my story. 2-3 months back, we went over the limit. The total bill came to $800 :eek: . I paid it, in full, that month. I then called Cingular, asking about a plan upgrade. And, like Ty, was told that I wasn't eligable due to the time left on my contract. I'm eligable for an upgrade NEXT August, and my contract is over next November. He then tells me that I can't get a better plan due to the age of my "equipment" as he put it. That's when the gloves came off. To make this family friendly, never tell me that I CAN'T spend more money on a monthly basis with you. That guy is rethinking his way throught college right now.

I will never understand why I can't upgrade and buy a better plan and phone thru Cingular. I have basically turned my phone off, and the Rollover minutes that I have built up are amazing. I won't go over the limit on minutes now, because I won't use my phone. And the reception sucks too :spit:

5. Well, I'm in Hong Kong right now, but I just bought a new cell phone here in HK, so if you really need, I can mail you my "old" Nokia 6100. That is, of course, unless my dad takes it first. He doesn't really need a new phone, especially not one with any kind of features, but if he wants it - hey, he's my dad. He pays for my stuff, so I'd have to give it to him. But if it's not around anymore, it won't really matter. :p

Oh right...
    And I know nothing about reception and customer service for cell phones and cell phone plans in Texas. I've never even been in the state. :ninja:

6. I've found Cingular has HORRIBLE service all throughout texas. I've switched to T Mobile and while it may not be the best (i dont know what it is), its miles better than cingular.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got Verizon, and travel throughout Texas. I think it's really good service. Plus they have the "new every two" plan...

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My roommate in college last year had Verizon and it seemed to be excellent service. It worked in places my phone would not, and he seemed pleased with it overall. I guess that's why I'm really torn about what to get because it seems like everything EXCEPT Cingular (and maybe AT&T) is really good, but sadly enough, they don't have the same basic plans as Cingular (except AT&T).

A little more detailed question...

Right now I pay $49.99 a month for a nationwide, no roaming plan with 500 minutes a month and rollover minutes (of which I now have 1750 :eek:). A nationwide plan is an absolute must for me because within the next few years I'll be traveling A LOT. What sort of nationwide plans do the respective companies have, and do they compare to what I have with Cingular?

9. My t mobile is nationwide, no roaming for only 40.00 a month. No rollover though and I'm not sure how many minutes I get (I get a fair amount, but they're shared with my sister), but I get free nights/weekends.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    One word... Verizon...

That is all.

11. bkirk

bkirk

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hey Ty,
    I've had ATT for 6 or 7 years and have had very few complaints, really. (Overage and roaming charges will kill ya no matter which service you have. Ouch!) I'm not sure what the connection is but ATT and Cingular are linked up now from what I understand so you may want to investigate what's up there before making a decision.
    My son had ATT, then Sprint, now TMobile. I think he wishes he still had ATT. TMobile has definitely been the poorest in coverage service and in customer service. In coverage, there are some definite sizeable holes in Austin!? In customer service it's the "we've got your money and we've got you over a contract barrel so why should we care if you like us or not" attitude.
    My daughter has Verizon and seems to do fine with it but also doesn't depend on wireless as much as my son and I do.
    So, in summary, I like ATT (sort of), wouldn't have TMobile on a bet or dare, and the rest you can add to your database. Good luck!

On another note, I know you're a Roscoe guy. I got a SKB3005 fretless which should be here Tues or Wed. Can't wait!
    Bruce

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Very interesting. With ATT it seems that it's either all or none, like or loathe. Some people swear by it, others won't use it if it were the only thing left. I'll keep that in mind. That's kinda cool though, because they're the only ones besides Cingular that support the phone I want :D

Oh dear. Please tell me you'll be at the get together on the 31st?!??! Please??

:D

13. I have T-Mobile too; nationwide, free long-distance/no roaming, 600 anytime minutes, free nights/weekends, $40/month. Can't complain about any of that, and I think the new plans are now 1000 minutes for the same price. I've had coverage everywhere I've gone with the phone save for a few random deadspots, and occasional dropped calls (nothing recently). I've had the phone for maybe 7-8 months, and if things continue the way they are now, I'll probably renew my (one-year) contract.

14. waitaminute! Ty McNeely goes to Baylor?

Ok, moving on. I use pay phones, or ask people nicely if I can use their phones. When that doesn't work, I have a cell phone thats bigger than my normal phone that barely works and the minutes cost me like, 50 cents. I love it anyways. Awwwwwww...

15. ATT blows. I hate mine. End of this month and I can change it. I feel the love.

16. bkirk

bkirk

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Ty,
    Which get together? Guess I missed that thread.
    Bruce

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey Ty, my wife currently has AT&T and has had them through her whole time while we lived in Temple too. She hasn't been real thrilled with the reception and as soon as I get a job we're going to drop AT&T and get a family plan with someone else. About a month ago (before I decided to wait until I get a job to get a cell phone) I looked at all the plans. T-mobile has the best deals and A1wireless.com had some awesome phone deals. However after examing their coverage map thoroughly I've found that there are just too many holes around here and in places that we regularly drive through on the way to our parents' houses and whatnot. So, I'm definitely not going T-Mobile even though their deals are tempting. If I could go with anyone, cost not being an issue, it would be Verizon. They are definitely the most expensive but they have the most expansive coverage. I may still bite the bullet and do Verizon. I was considering Cingular but you and Stu's stories are discouraging me from that. There's also Nextel but their coverage isn't that great either so they aren't in the running.

EDIT: Oh yeah...check out www.cellularchoices.com. I think you can look at all the available plans there. You can sign up for cell service online and often you'll find better deals on phones.

brad cook

18. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I second Pacman! I have Verizon in Austin and am very satisfied.

You may want to check your Cingular contract - usually the cancellation fee includes paying the full price of the freebie phone you got when you signed up.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Very interesting. I just heard not long ago (someone mentioned it on here as well) that AT&T was bought out by Cingular, so I'm interested to see how that turns out. You'd think maybe between the two of them they could get their stuff together, but probably not.

Right now I'm leaning towards Verizon. Just wish they supported the phone I want :(

20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Only within 180 days, thankfully.

Thanks for the heads-up though :)