"Y'all Want a Single" video - A Fine Thing???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 6, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't want to put my spin, just yet, on the Korn video, "Y'all Want a Single...." in which they trash the stranglehold that the 8 major entertainment conglomerates have on the recording industry.

Just wondered what you think of it, especially the sincerity. (If you think you are "above" Korn's level, this video may appeal to you anyway).

If you haven't seen it, this site is a pretty user friendly place to view it...(turn off your pop-up blocker and click on "Watch") - http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1014635
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

In a way, I suppose it's refreshing to see an "established" band speak out against the "establishment" (their employer). The message and the info in the video is nothing new. For every 1/2 hour there's about 16 minutes of actual broadcast time on any given station. And most TV or radio stations are mass owned by a select few companies that treat those select stations as stock holdings rather than a broadcast/barometer of the country's popular culture at large.

The 2:50 formula is as old as Buddy Holly. I don't have a beef with the formula. Yes, Genesis and a few others broke it loose a bit. It's rather challenging to come up with something cool, yet attractive in such a constraint. But, the game is still the same...if you want to be a star, in movies or song, there are just a few factors you need. Some of those things we don't all possess. We know to an extent what we would have to do. But even those simple things are no guarantee. Plus we have to compete with other bands from other places, with their own hooks. There's a work day that's almost done, and the execs want to go home now. Call again tommorrow, we'll try and squeeze you in.

But overall, I am frustrated by the lack of imagination in the POP music broadcast culture overall. I know there is great diversity out there. It just isn't exposed to the public at large because the "establishment" has an established way they do business that supposedly satisfies the stockholders and the ADvertisement vendors. There will come a day that these collectives are broken up or sold off, to some benefit, but others will lose jobs.
  3. rickbass

IMO - You're a good man, Aaron!

Can you imagine how even more dismal radio fare would be today if 60's-70's radio didn't play such lengthy classics from bands such as Cream, Led Zepplin, Iron Butterfly, Jimi Hendrix, Traffic, Dylan, and so many more ?!?!? Back then, you never knew what was going to come out of your speakers.

It used to be that when you selected your FM station, you didn't know what was going to be played and some of the sounds would simply turn your head around about what is "music" from some artist you never heard of.

Nowadays, a trip to a chain CD store seems to offer about as much self-expression and experimentation as a film of Hitler's goose-stepping troops, IMO.

Bottomline - I don't think people should have to pay to hear challenging/decent music on their radios.

The fact that Korn came out with this "mutiny" suprised me so much.

Whuh oh!!! Gotta change the dial! A Nickelback/Creed/Blink 182 marathon is coming on!!!
  4. rickbass

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day, SMASH!!! Yeah, I don't know if I'd want Munky handling my cash after his last drag on PCP.

I hope the intention is to get "people to think about it" as you say.........or could it be like a pro wrestling star who makes a paycheck by telling the audience what a bunch of "ignorant rubes" they are ????

At any rate, I think the Korn video has so much more impact than ol' Tom Petty wheezing about 'The Last DJ."
  5. First, I'm not much of a Korn fan. I generally don't like "preachey" songs, and this one definitely is. And they hit you over the head with their message by the "hard core" text flashing periodically across the camera. And the video itself isn't very original; a bunch of kids getting mad and destroying things. Pretty typical "hard core" video.

That being said, I agree with their message. I also found some of the text flying by interesting. Things like "steal this video" and "this song is a single" made me smile. If Korn really wanted to fight the system, though, they would start producing their albums independantly, for starters. Not to mention not producing any singles. Do they do this at all (I wouldn't know)?

Anyway, just my thoughts.
  6. rickbass

Good and interesting thoughts, Gog..........especially since they're signed to Sony.

But then again - It seems no one else is trying to use their megabuck/major label position to expose what's happening.

Their parent label, Sony is so incredibly huge, I don't know if they even realize this video exists! - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/giants/sony.html
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...we have a new FM station in-town, "Bob-FM".
    So far so good, they're playing everything you mentioned above PLUS Motown, Al Green, Jackson 5, Curtis Mayfield, etc.
    They probably won't last through the Summer, though.

...it used to be AM, too. My parents' Ramblers only had AM radios & it was quite diverse(Santana, Sugarloaf, Doors, Motown, Sly, Chicago, Rare Earth,...Bobby Sherman, Lynn Anderson, The Carpenters, etc).
  8. Well, some of the text in the video mentioned that the producer or someone wanted to change the video. Of course, that could mean anything. "Hey fellas! Couldn't ya throw in a shot of a record exec making hot, man-love with Fieldy?"
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's like a heavy version of the Van Halen "Right Now" video

I got a kick out of some of Fieldy's poses though, it must be harder to play with the bass nearly vertical. :p

Let's not turn this thread into another bash though. Just my opinion, if that part needs to be erased then by all means keep the peace Mods.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    why? upright bassists have been doing it for centuries :rolleyes: :p
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I still don't think what Korn is doing here is so shocking, or revolutionary. It's more likely an attempt to remind fans that they really are "cool" and "anti-establishment". CSN & a few others did similar things, though in a political context. But those things don't necessarily sell records, or equal a "Rockin' Good Time!

I'd have a hard time hearing/watching a "national act" call their record company on the carpet for being/hiring/promoting "formulaic" acts while so many promos for beer or Verizon are hung about the stage area.

The Sex Pistols did better while signed with EMI, with much more daring and comical result. But in retrospect, probably not without calculation.

It's like rappers preaching a "down wit' 'da Man!" kind of stuff. But all the while winking: "But don't intterrupt the distibution/supply chain that gets my CD's to the record store".
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yeah but uprights aren't strapped to your neck :D
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought it was a Nuclear Assault rip off.

edit: the video was for "Brainwashed" IIRC.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny. Korn blamed downloaders/pirates for the dismal sales of Untouchables (which barely went Gold, I believe). Now they make a nice ol' "up the establishment" piece.