ya'lls opinion on the warwick i chose.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scuba steve, Mar 7, 2006.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well, i went to a gc in north dallas to pick out a new bass. my budget was around $2000. i played all the nicer basses they had their, from some brand new pedulla raptures and used thunder basses, to the assorted warwicks, and a used roscoe, and a few others. to my surprise, all the basses were set up well, so i think i got a good feel on how they all played. i played them through a mesa boogie tube amp(i dont remember the model), and some mesa cabs, so i got a good a good idea of the tones of these basses. all the pedullas had pancakes for necks, so i ruled them off. they sounded good, but weren't exactly my thing feel wise, and tone wise. the roscoe was pretty cool, but it weighed a ton, and i didn't like the feel enough to consider it. don't get me wrong, i am in no way bashing these basses. thay were beautiful, and sounded good, but were not my cup of tea. then i played some of the wicks they had. the double $$ corvette was cool, but not the tone i was lookin for. i didn't like the streamer jazzman's feel. so i got to an infinity sn, and a bo thumb 5 string. now i was lookin for a 4 string, so i thumb 5 had to fill in for a 4(i know they sound and feel different, but they are close enough)after much playing and eatin lunch at papa doux, i told them to order me a thumb bo 4. it was a hard choice between the thumb and infinity, but i liked the sound and feel of the thumb a liitle more.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think its a good choice. The Thumb bo 4 is my favorite warwick. It has a very compact feel and good tone.
  3. I agree, I'd like to have one...hmmm...there must be a way.
  4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    yeah bro, the infinity sounded, played, and looked great(zebra wood), but it was a little "brighter" sounding, and was a bit bigger than the thumb. the thumb seemed to have a warmer and darker tone, not to mention growl to spare when i want it.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    So it's "ya'll" and not "y'all"?

Personally, I agree with you about the thumb v. infinity. Actually.. the infinity I tried was one of the nicer ones with the hollow body and sweet top.. cost 4 grand.. lowered to 1700 because it was a floor model for a really long time. I should have jumped on it and resold it or something.
  6. Awsome choice...my only suggestion is to cancle the GC order and look for an older hand made warwick which often pop up on the bay. I have a SSII from 1990 and it kicks every warwick that i have ever played from current years. My opinion of course but warwick vintage gear kills the new stuff.

7. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    yeah, im not a good speller. i think it is y'all. i feel ashamed that a yankee is showin a southern boy how to spell his words, figures though. lol.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Were the newer warwicks you played set up like your old one, and run through the same amp? I've never been able to find a fault with a newer warwick bass that I've looked at, and don't trust any tone/feel impressions I've had of them in shops, due to setup. I'm very much enjoying my '01 SSII.

Making a bass "by hand" rather than CNC doesn't make it any better, IMO. In fact, the CNCed basses can be more consitent.