Yamaga BB614 suggestiosns?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Dec 13, 2005.

1. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    I was recently at my not-so-local Samash, and i was taking a look at this bass, the Yamaha BB614 active 4 string, they had the passive version but i wanted to try the active version for its tonal variety. I was quite pleased with is, i played it though two different, Hartke 2x10 VX combo, and the ampeg 2x10 combo. and it was selling for $449, which i didnt think was a bad price for this bass. And saying that somtime soon I may be in the market for a new bass, i am seriously considering this bass. Are there any other basses you would reccomend in this price range, I also like the fender aerodyne Jazz, but i am looking for an active bass.(I like tone range). I would really appreciate any suggestions so i could try them out somtime, thanx

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Jake -

I used to own an Aerodyne but I sold it b/c I found the tone to bee too bright for my tastes. Part of me hated letting it go because I thought (and still think) it's one of the prettiest and nicest-feeling basses I've ever played.

I have not played the BB614 but I spent a solid hour with the BB615 in a local store and I liked it a LOT. I liked the tone but I also loved the feel.

Yamaha devotees (and there are a lot of them here on TB) will tell you that Yamaha never makes a "crappy" bass. You may not like the tone but the fit, finish, and general quality of Yammies tends to be top-notch.

If you like the way it sounds, I don't think you can go wrong with it.
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've had a couple Yammer basses. Also own the new bbt500h amp, a 20yr old acoustic and a sgv800 electric. I just sold the bb405 that I recently acquired. But not before putting the original pups back in. It came with bartolini pups in it but the stock yammies worked very well. I also took the time to fully shield it using the star grounding method shown here on TB. I even switched to v/b/t but switched it back to v/v/t before I sold. My friend wanted it more than I did. It didn't seem to have any soul if that makes any sense but the tone was great. Sold it for $300 but one could add any on board preamp of choice if you want to go active. An aguilar-3 goes for around $150 new.
  4. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm about to sell a BB1500A in MINT/AS NEW condition, with a Carvin gig bag and straplocks. $550 shipped to the lower 48 US.

There's a picture on page 2 of the Guitars album here:

I can post more detailed pictures if you're interested.
    The pickguard does have some light scratches since the day it arrived, but other than that it is in perfect shape. Used only in a smoke-free home studio. Never gigged.

I recently got a Peavey Millenium, and I don't need 2 basses.
    Selling the Yamaha is a hard decision. Sound-wise I prefer the Yamaha to the Peavey, but the Peavey is more comfortable for me.

Both are great basses IMHO, but I can only keep one.

By the way, in case you buy the other Yamaha bass, I've had a couple of Yamaha guitars and other gear, and I've been happy with it. :)
  5. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    nah, ill pass. any more suggestions?