1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha 01V96, and the new N12 (and any other digital desk)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Inflin, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    I was just wondering if anyone hear has had and experience of these things? I basically want one or the other to replace an analog 24 track purely because I want more space in my basement!

I basically have two main questions of the 01V96:

1. How do the pre's sound? Are they clean? do they handle everything you put in them? Or do they suffer the Mackie problem: great vocals, weak bass?

2. How does it perform as a DAW controller? Is it reliable? Responsive? And how well does it work out of the box with Cubase?

Regarding the N12, I know they're brand new, but maybe some people here have heard them, or at least know if they use the same pre's as the 01V? I may be falling for the Cubase branding here!

If you've had experience with any other digital desk that has at least 24 input, 6 aux, and a DAW control system, let me know too!

Thanks!

2. I can't comment on the N12, but the pres in the 01V96 are garbage. Sterile and weak sounding on any source. It would work fine for mixing or and/or as a control surface but I would advise buying at least one or two GOOD mic pres.