Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha 1980s BB basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russjm, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Any of you BB experts know how to date these things? I have a Japanese 3000S, and a Taiwanese 1100S, and I just wondered if anyone knew how to nail down a date of manufacture for them? Yamaha won't reply to email.

I know they're both 1980s, I guess the 1100S is a little later than the 3000S, but I'd like to find out exactly if possible. Also does anyone have an original '80s BB catalogue they want to sell?

Thanks.

2. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchives/guitarserial.htm

Here is a website with this info, although when I put in the serial number for my 80-something BB3000S it comes up as invalid. There is a phone number for more info there too.

dis be it ->

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks to those who complimented my BB.....here's a couple more views...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    lovely bass, jetset.

4. Thanks jetsetvet, I appreciate that. Nice 3000S, same as mine, I think we've crossed paths on the Yamaha appreciation thread haven't we?

Here's my two:

BB3000S
    [​IMG]

BB1100S
    [​IMG]

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That BB3000 is absolutely beautiful!!! Hey, I love vintage Fenders, but I will take a clean BB3000 or BB2000 anyday, anytime!!!
    Gosh, that BB3000 is gorgeous!!! :hyper:

6. Mmmm.......

I just tried the link too, got the same response as you for my 3000S, invalid. For the 1100S it said either 1980 or 1990, the serial number repeats every ten years apparently, so it has to be one of those two, I'd guess the latter.

7. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
  8. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Does anyone know the tool used to adjust the neck on the BB's? I just got my first one off ebay and no tool for the truss rod. thanks

9. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    On mine, pictured above, the truss rod takes a 5mm Allen wrench. Its a pretty stable neck though, even in New England, so I rarely have adjusted it.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Had a mid-80's BB300 that I essentially "gave away" on an ill advised trade-in around 89 or so.

Wish I still had that bass....

11. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I've always wondered what the average price of the bb series basses are, I have a bb1000s in excellent condition, and I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on it. But I'm not even sure what they're worth, I just kinda had to take it
    :rolleyes:

12. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

For all you 1980's BB lovers, can you clue me into why they were so loved?

I just bought a 2005 BB and I like it quite a bit but I didn't have any idea about the history behind them -- I just knew an excellent bass when I saw one.

Who played/endorsed these in the 80's and why were they so "large?" And following that up, why did they "fall off the map" only to be be rediscovered now? Did Yamaha discontinue them?

School me, please!

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The biggest endorsers for Yamaha BB series basses that I remember were Lee Sklar and Nathan East. I believe Allan Gorrie from AWB used one for a while and so did that guy that sang "These Broken Wings." Billy Sheehan used one for while before he got Yamaha to make his Attitude series. Michael Anthony from Van Halen used a BB3000 back in the day and still uses a contemporary high end BB1500A. The BB2000 and 3000 were serious top of the line basses. A contemporary player is Tony Kinal from No Doubt. In terms of build quality, there in the USA Lakland and Lull, or maybe even Fender Custom Shop territory, but they were made in Japan, which back in the 1980's, mean they were a bit cheaper than the equivalent USA bass. I don't belive that Yamaha could profitably sell the original style BB3000 & 2000 today. The street prices for them today would probably be somewhere between $1,500-$2,000.

The budget BB basses were also great, in particular, the BB300 was a moderately priced P-bass that was a very nice alternative to a Fender. The later BB basses like the BB404, BB405, BB605, etc. are nice basses, but they are a step down in overall build quality. From what I can see, the new BB415, BB615, BB614, etc. definitely are styled after the original BBs, but they lack the sweet neck through construction, ebony fingerboards, and other really high end features, but as I said, this was necessary to keep the price down. The other price saving measure is that the newest generation is made in Korea, not Japan.

14. I have two 80's BB300's. One is now fretless and the other is getting a big fat old school humbucker at the neck and an EMG BTC active control as we speak. Both of these basses are pure workhorse and I wouldn't give either of them up on a bet!

H :bassist:

15. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I have a BB1200 that does the meanest P-Bass I've ever heard!

I first became aware of this model because Paul McCartney played one in the late '70's - early '80's.

While Macca's was loaded with his usual flats, mine sounds truly vicious with stainless rounds! :bassist: