Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha 414/614

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    So they have them for lefties!! Please, please...tell more about them, quality, construction, etc. I saw that the heel is sculpted what is a great thing already. And Im in doubt between passive (414) or active (614), but Im thinking more in get the passive, a more natural less hi-fi tone.

2. i played a 415 a couple of months ago...I'm not a 5 string player...but I LOVED this bass...

the bass has a great funky growlly tone with the bridge pickup mixed in...it's a good slapper and does fingerstyle nice...I thought the p-pickup was a little bit on the boomy side, but I didn't do a lot (nothing in fact) with the amp EQ.

I played this thing for like 1/2 hour in the music shoppe.

The build quality is very solid, as is with almost ALL Yamahas...I just dig this bass, I don't know how to describe it.

A BB415 WILL be a serious consideration for my first 5er...(whenever I'm willing to make the move)

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Humanbass -

My affection for the Yamaha BB's is becoming well known on TalkBass. To see a pretty good thread on them, check out this link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222112

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Thanks!! the Winston guy said that the 414 has a beefier neck...what i prefer since I have big hands. Im thinking after buy it in replace the bridge for a BadAss 2, it uses the same screws right?

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, the passive BB414 had a more Precision-bass style neck (felt exactly like the 4-string '80's BB necks I remember) and the active BB614 had more of a narrow Jazz-bass feel. Not sure about the BadAss 2/screw situation...

6. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    [​IMG]

This bass claims for a BA2 !! And I love the jazz pup pole in this blade shape

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I played a passive 4 and loved it. What a great sound out of such an affordable bass.

The only thing I would do is swap out the bridge for something with a bit more mass. Other than that, a great bass for way less than $500.

8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I am getting the 5 string active model next week. I tried the 4 string passive one and it blew me away also. They were selling it for $360. That is unbelievable for a bass that is constructed so well and sounds so good.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think SteveC has a 414, maybe he'll see this one and chime in on it.