1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha 414/614

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    So they have them for lefties!! Please, please...tell more about them, quality, construction, etc. I saw that the heel is sculpted what is a great thing already. And Im in doubt between passive (414) or active (614), but Im thinking more in get the passive, a more natural less hi-fi tone.

2. i played a 415 a couple of months ago...I'm not a 5 string player...but I LOVED this bass...

the bass has a great funky growlly tone with the bridge pickup mixed in...it's a good slapper and does fingerstyle nice...I thought the p-pickup was a little bit on the boomy side, but I didn't do a lot (nothing in fact) with the amp EQ.

I played this thing for like 1/2 hour in the music shoppe.

The build quality is very solid, as is with almost ALL Yamahas...I just dig this bass, I don't know how to describe it.

A BB415 WILL be a serious consideration for my first 5er...(whenever I'm willing to make the move)

3. Humanbass -

My affection for the Yamaha BB's is becoming well known on TalkBass. To see a pretty good thread on them, check out this link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222112

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Thanks!! the Winston guy said that the 414 has a beefier neck...what i prefer since I have big hands. Im thinking after buy it in replace the bridge for a BadAss 2, it uses the same screws right?

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, the passive BB414 had a more Precision-bass style neck (felt exactly like the 4-string '80's BB necks I remember) and the active BB614 had more of a narrow Jazz-bass feel. Not sure about the BadAss 2/screw situation...

6. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    [​IMG]

This bass claims for a BA2 !! And I love the jazz pup pole in this blade shape

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I played a passive 4 and loved it. What a great sound out of such an affordable bass.

The only thing I would do is swap out the bridge for something with a bit more mass. Other than that, a great bass for way less than $500.

8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I am getting the 5 string active model next week. I tried the 4 string passive one and it blew me away also. They were selling it for $360. That is unbelievable for a bass that is constructed so well and sounds so good.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think SteveC has a 414, maybe he'll see this one and chime in on it.