Yamaha 5-string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Mar 6, 2001.

1. I went to the store yesterday and tried out a Yamaha BBG55. I have to say that I liked it.. Active electronics, virtually no fret buzz as compared to my P-bass, nice B string, nice sound (which is almost exactly the same as my P-bass), J-style pickups, Lightweight, the neck is a little wide, but it's managable, and it looks nice. It's like a light blue that's a little bit sparkly.

It's $458. What would you have to say about this bass? Have you tried one? Do you own one? Have you owned one? What did you like/dislike about it? Thanks:)
  2. I've tried one. The neck was too big for me =( but otherwise, pretty good bass.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    ive only played 1, the neck was nice, felt comfortable to play, but it sounded way to trebly for me, i had to turn the trebble down all the way on it to take out that tinny sound. All in all Id give it a thumbs up though
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Great basses for the money. Buuut, for about $100 more, you can get an Ibanez BTB405qm! Much much better, IMO, if you can handle full spacing.

Either way, youve got a great bass there, and once you get better at playing, youll be able to upgrade things on it easily for a really awesome bass.
  5. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    I don't own the BB 5er, but I do own a RBX765A and I can say that, with the right setup, it blows away any moderately priced bass, 5-string or not.
  6. The problem is, the RBX765A is getting a bit out of my price range, and I've never tried it. Plus there are no stores around here that carry it.
  7. Oh, by the way, the store had that bass, plus a bunch of other Ibanez basses. I didn't like it. There was a lot of fret buzz (at least in thie particular one) and just didn't feel right. Just my opinion though.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But fret buzz and action are adjustable! If you find a bass with a poor setup, you should ask the shop to adjust it - this is not a criterion for rejecting a bass unless it can't be adjusted properly, but this is very unlikely. If a bass is poorly set up, this is a reason to got a different shop, not a different bass. ;)
  9. I own and am playing one right now! :)

I also like it.. but mine has passive electronics... :( I want active... :)

ever since I´ve got it I´ve found the neck to be just perfect.. ;)

well, anyway, I´m gonna go practice and go to school...