1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha 6 string...pro's and con's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marktylerw, Apr 21, 2006.

1. The trb1006 models to be precise.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has one or has played one. What do you think?

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am the proud owner of a TRB1006. I love how it looks, feels, and sounds. I spent a lot of time in the store playing the 1005 before I decided to order the 1006. The bass was on back order from Yamaha, so I had to wait approx. 45 days.

I had to tweak the truss a little bit. I did some small action and intonation adjustments to fit my playing style.

The strings that come on the bass are D'Addario steel strings made for Yamaha: 32, 45, 65, 85, 105, 125. I like steel strings on my P-Bass, but they seem a little too bright for this bass (especially the high C). I will probably replace them with D’Addario EXL165-6 Nickel (32, 45, 65, 85, 105, 135). D'Addario strings are really affordable. You can get a 6-string set for around $22.

I really love this bass. I like the sound of the EQ set flat. Depending on the amp; I favor tweaking the mids up, the bass down, and the treble down (probably due to the steel strings). I like to do multitrack arrangements of jazz tunes where I play the bass line, chords, and melody/solo all on the bass. I need each part to have great clarity. This bass allows me to do that.

I like that the bolt-on neck has 6 bolts instead of 4. I also dig the dual truss rod.

Some people might say that the string spacing is too tight for slap. Maybe. I'm not really a slapper. If I want to slap a bass around I will go grab my P-bass.

I feel that I got the best 6-string bass I could get in this price bracket ($900). If I had to give you a con, I'd say the bass is a little heavy. I'm not sure of the exact weight. I got myself a really nice wide leather strap. The weight doesn't bother me.

This is not a picture of my bass, but it is the same bass...
    [​IMG]

I hope this was helpful.
    Joe

3. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I just picked up a TRB1006 myself, but I don't think I can help you. I made a few major modifications to it myself before I even took it home from the store. I added an ABM locking-saddle bridge, an Aguilar OBP-3/PP wired 18-volt, Graphtech nut, threw in a push/pull for my volume as an active/passive switch, and added a Hipshot D tuner. After all of those mods, smoking hot bass that most boutique basses can barely touch. Both sound and playability have been severly altered from the get-go, but it is a very versitile and smooth playing bass. I've played the 5 & 4 strings in music shops and they are a very good quality instrument for the money. The Yamaha electronics are generally very balanced, the playablility is pretty good especially after you lower the string height as Yamaha tends to set it a little high during shipping. But overall, it's a fairly versitile bass that goes well with jazz and rock.

4. Wow, thanks heaps guys, this has helped alot. Appreciate all the info Joe.
    I think I will be used to the weight because my warwick is pretty heavy.
    I use a wide leather strap also. I don't know much about all those mods, will have to do some research-but sounds cool.

Question: Ytsebri-why have put a d-tuner on a six string? and which string?, B?
    was it very expensive to do all that?
    what exactly do you gain from all that?

Thanks again

5. Being able to play a low-A can be useful in some musical situations. I plan to do the same to my TRB6 at some point.

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Yeah, I play in a metal band and I have it set to low A. I like the extreme subsonic frequencies I get with it. At some point in the future I plan on getting a 6 or 7 and stringing it with a low F#. All of the extraneous stuff was kinda expensive, but I wanted to trick it out something fierce. I'll tell you why I did each thing, but to preface, I also have a Yamaha RBX6JM and I did a few things to it after a few years of keeping it stock and learning the bass. That being said, the RBX6JM and the TRB1006 are remarkably similar in terms of pickups, electronics and hardware, but not in tone, playablility and looks.
    ABM bridge- After about 5 years, my Myung's bridge wore out and the string height adjustment would not stay up. I replaced it with a bridge that I was sure wouldn't do the same thing, the ABM locking saddle bridge. The thing was, this bridge was much heavier than I anticipated. That, to me, was a really good thing. I got more sustain, and a slightly different tone. And I loved it so much, I added it to the TRB.
    Aguilar- I also know from the Myung that while the built in preamp is nice, aftermarkets are sooo much nicer. I had a problem with one of the pots on the Myung and when I took it to have it replaced, I found out that all of the pots are hard mounted to the preamp because it is a massive circuit board in the bass. That's not a bad thing and generally pots won't go out, I just had a problem with this particular one. But to replace this one pot, I'd have to get an entirely new preamp. I decided to go with a Seymour Duncan 3-band Eq preamp instead of getting the Yamaha board in case I ever had any pot problems again. It made the bass much clearer and I had a crisper sound. After doing that, I decided I didn't want 2 six strings that sounded the exact same and I didn't want the old Yamaha sound, so I looked around and decided on the Aguilar OBP-3TK-PP. It has a mid shift that can be activated by either a toggle switch or a push/pull knob and I decided to go with the push/pull so I wouldn't have to drill into the bass. Since the other pots were hard wired into the old preamp, I also had to buy some pots to replace them and I decided since I was doing that, I wanted an active/passive push/pull for the volume so I could bypass the preamp if my battery started to go dead or if I wanted a different tonality for anything.
    Finally I got the nut to go in conjunction with the Hipshot. The nut is made of self-lubricating graphite so the sliding string won't get hung up.
    I would say that if you decide to go with this bass, or did go with this bass, play it stock and get used to it. Off the rack it's an amazing bass and an amazing buy. I did all of those mods because, like I said, I previously owned a similar bass and I found out what I personally percieved to be the weak spots. The same weak spots will possibly not be the same to you. We are probably entirely different players and play in different situations. This bass was a perfect fit for me though and it's killer for the $$

7. Thank you so much for your time! Ytsebri, I really appreciate all the info, it has helped alot.
    You sound like you really know what you're doing.
    More power to ya!

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Wow! What a pretty instrument!

I'm personal quite taken with the John Pattitucci signature 6.