Yamaha 6 vs Ibanez 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Oct 31, 2005.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm in a situation where i need a 6. anyone with experience with eith the TRB or the Ibanez ?

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Which TRB and which Ibanez?
  3. If you're looking just between those two, Yamaha. If you want more data to make the decision more confusing, try Brice's Presige Z (www.rondomusic.net) - now available as a fretless, too on the inexpensive side for 450; a Schecter Stiletto 6 for around 800, and if you want to go over a grand, a Spector.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have a fretless brice 6...not bad for 279. need a fretted one. There is a smith 6 burner on the bay at the moment that has my interest aslso...

yamaha trb 6 not the jp.
    ibanez either the sdgr or the other one and i do not remember model #
  5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I was at my local music store over the weekend and they had just taken in an Ibanez SR506 on trade .... since none of the store guys are really 6 players they asked me to give it a run through .... I was playing through a Mesa head w/410

I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the bass was. Very strong tone, really a decent B, good neck (not too wide, spacing felt like ~ 18mm, probably pretty close to the Brice). The only thing I'm not real happy about with the Sound Gears is that they only have one real tone .... aggressive :rolleyes:

Depending on what you're looking for it might do the trick. But again, not a lot of tonal variety, IMO .....
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As Ed said, the SR506 is a great bass for $599, even better used. Not as agressive, much more mellow than most Soundgears because of the Barts.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    which has barts ?
  8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    the sr506 .....
  9. Look at used Peavey Cirruses too!
  10. Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    Seriously GAS for a SR506 right now, I know off the top of my head that the string spacing on that bad boy is 16.5 mm.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Something like that, really narrow and I really like it. Strangely, it's not much of a difference going from a Precision bass to this. Dunno why.
  12. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've had a new SR-506 for about 4 months now and I love it! No regrets at all in making the purchase. It plays well and sounds good too. The Bart MK1 PUP's are pretty nice.

I'd have to disagree with Pointbass just a bit. While the sound is aggressive for the most part, especially at the bridge PUP, if you mix in more neck PUP, it actually gets pretty warm and not quite as aggressive. That's actually how I have mine setup most of the time, though it does vary depending on the music I'm playing. ;)

Though to be fair, my main bass for 25 years was a '79 Stingray, so I'm used to aggressive. lol :D

Good luck and have fun!
  13. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    to me, they have the same quality, but the bottom line for me (to pick the Ibanez) were the electronics, bartolini's are good in any bass, and they make me happy every time I play them.

14. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, it wouldn't be surprising if you can dial in some warmth once you get used to the bass, especially with the Bart's. I only fooled with it for about 15-20 minutes or so, and I automatically reverted to settings I used to use on an SRX505 I'd used for several years. That SRX505 was a bazooka with no tonal variety other than thunderous, and I'm pretty sure I dialed the SR506 the same.

I also agree with Tim about the string spacing, it really doesn't seem that different from a Fender ..... I'm quite surprised to hear that it's 16.5mm ...... :cool:
  15. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    If your a fan of wide spacing, the Yamaha is the way to go. 19mm spacing at the bridge. The neck is really wide but if you're used to 3/4" string spacing the transition is much easier than going to a bass with smaller spacing.

I personally really like the electronics. It can sound very aggressive or very smooth, and the three position (rear cavity adjusted) midrange/tone switch allows you to preset some of your favorite settings.
  16. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I have a TRB6II, fantastic bass, I also opted for the incredibly wide neck with the large spacing, definately made the transition easier and I can play it very comfortabley, 4 strings feel like chopsticks now :bassist:
  17. I had a TRB-5II; loved the weight, feel & playability(particularly the neck width), didn't like the 35" scale or preamp. Strangely, the Ibanez 6-string SRs I've played around with in stores all impressed me w/regard to playability- tight, but somehow not crowded. I'd love to have one tuned high, say ADGCFBb or something, for recording upper-register guitar-tone/chordal stuff.