Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha 765 Owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy yall, got a few questions.

My Yamaha 765 is my first bass, and i don't have much experience with other basses/pickups, so excuse the ignorance.

What is your opinion of the stock electronics/pickups? My impression is good, but again, i have nothign to compare it to.

What is your opinion of the stock strings? i've had the bass for several months and havnt changed the strings from the stock strings. if these strings are garbage, which strings would you recommend (i pick, play slap and fingerstyle...jazz/funk and rock)

Have any of you modded your 765? why/how?

thanks for input everyone!

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Yamaha strings blow chunks. I changed mine very soon after I got my BBG5S very soon after I got it, and the tone was so much better I didn't even keep them as backups. I love DR strings low riders, and the markley sr2000's. Both are great, but I've had problems with my yamaha accepting taper wound strings. I don't have a 765, but I bet the electronics are the same as mine, and you already know about the mods I made to it.

3. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    great, thanks tubass!

i think im going to hold out on changing the pickups for now (just gutted out my old electric mandolin and am completely restocking it with better parts) so i think i'm just going to go with a string change.

thanks for the info!