1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha and Ibanez basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 30, 2006.

1. My SX J-Bass (bought in a shop in a small town in Italy) has had a lot of problems that prove me that it wasn't a great deal:
    -The jack was very bad, it was much larger than a normal jack so the cables didn't fit very well (I replaced it though)
    -The neck started bending when I put a new set of strings (which I've read is normal), D'Addario EXL160 (.105 0.85 0.70 0.50), so I was going to tighten that thing you tighten on top of the neck when it bends (forgot the name), when I found out that it was already full tight.
    -The bass is incredibly heavy, weighting 13 lbs.
    -The nut is very bad, so sometimes when I play, the E-string gets out of the nut
    I think this was a very bad chinese copy of a chinese copy!

(Sorry for the long and boring introduction)

So I was thinking on buying a new bass. My first choice was a Fender, and I found some pretty cheap P-Basses over here, but then I found out that they were copies (they still had "Fender" written on the headstock). Since I don't want to spend (because I don't have) a lot of money, I thought about Yamaha and Ibanez. I've played a Yamaha before (the school's one, a Yamaha RBX260) and I think it's pretty good. But I wanted to know your opinion about those brands. What do you think about them? Are they good for the money?

2. Yamaha, is an awesome brand, they build awesome basses, I'd choose Yamaha over Ibanez anyday.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I believe you'd be happy with a Yamaha bass. I've had excellent experiences with both the TRB, and RBX lines. I'm also hearing terrific thing about the new BB basses. Each of the lines I've experienced has been a very a very good value.

I'm also sure you'd be happy with some of the equivelent Ibanez lines. Too many people speak highly of them for them to be bad basses.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha. I am biased as I have two, but I have never really liked Ibanez. No real reason, they just don't do it for me.

5. Id say ibanez, but hey, im a fan

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I like Ibanez's - I've got two. Had an SX too, which was close to perfect for me.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Save from a minor case of Soundgear GAS in the early 90's, I've never been much of an Ibanez fan. Well, except for the ATK bass, I like that one. I dig Yamaha instruments of all types though. I've always especially liked the classic BB style bass.

8. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    +1

9. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    I have have had great experiences with both brands, but the bottom end models are to be avoided if humanly possible. The Ibanez Soundgear line starts to get really good at about the 800's and for me the 1000's with Bartolini pickups are head and shoulders above anything else in that price range, except possibly the MusicMans. The Yamaha BB's are really fine instruments, although the Ibanez fretwork (within the same price range) is a step up, in my opinion.

Neither of these brands hold their value especially well, probably because everyone is so familiar with the bottom end models. Used SR800's, SR1000's, and BB's are fairly common, at great prices. I don't know about availability where you are, but if you had a friend in the U.S., I'm sure you could work something out. Check the TB classifieds, and maybe list one or more of those models in the "Gear wanted" classifieds. Maybe someone has one under their bed for the right price.