Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha appreciating thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I went to one of the local stores today to check if they had something new to try out, they had. The new Yamaha BB 4-string basses, one black and one sunburst red-ish, i tried the red-ish, all i can is OMG!!! I totally regret that i bought that Warwick rockbass :crying:

And the strings that were on the bass was just perfect, they felt like nickel roundwounds 40-100, does anybody know what yamaha strings there basses with? I hate the string noise that roundwounds give me, there wasn't a single noise!!!

I now understand why bassists like Tony Kanal and Michael Anthony uses them

Please share your Yamaha story's/buy's with me, and i like pictures ;)

P.S Sorry for sharing my GAS with you :D

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Yamaha basses are nice. I wish I had started out on an entry level Yamaha over an Ibanez. My housemate has an older BB-series 5-string and it's a great bass. I love the neck on it. It's wider and more comfortable than the neck on my Ibanez TRB105 5-string. And the active electronics on his bass are great- I'm able to dial in a wider variety of tones than on my Fairlane (and it has a similar setup: dual soapbars, 2-band EQ, alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.)

I also like that Yamahas with active electronics have a separate easy-access battery compartment to make battery changes a snap. After all, not everybody is meticulous enough to keep track of how long a battery's been sitting in the cavity, so an easy-access compartment allows rapid changes in case one dies on a gig...just be sure to keep extra 9volts in your case or gig bag.

And all their 6-strings come with dual truss rods, which I like. I don't understand why so many companies don't use dual truss rods in 6-string necks, given how wide they are.

And, yeah, quite a few guys use Yamaha basses. Billy Sheehan, John Myung, John Patitucci, Nathan East, Abe Laboriel, Philip Bynoe, Chris Minh Doky...

3. Paul_C

Paul_C Builder: Arrowheadguitars Basses

Mar 5, 2005
    Northampton, UK
    [​IMG]

I also have a particular obsses.. er, fondness for Yamaha basses :D :D :D :D

4. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    [​IMG]

5. I think Yamahas are one of the best values you can get in a bass at any price level. I've played a few TRB5s & TRB6s, and they all felt and sounded great.

I have a BBN5 II, which would be the equivalent of a MIM Fender, and loved it from when I first played it. It was my first 5 string. This June it'll be 4 years old. Not the most versatile sounding bass, but roll off all or most of the treble, solo the bridge pup and boost the mids on your amp, and it sounds convincingly close to John Paul Jones' tone on The Lemon Song.

Very Fender-like in feel. Balances very nicely. You can't beat it for $400.

Go Yamaha.

Mike

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There's something I've been wondering about for a while :

The BB2005 lists at $1,999, and sells around $1,300 on street price.
    Do you all think it's really worth the money, since it's the same price as an SR5 or a Fender AM Deluxe 5 or even a Sadowsky Metro ?

No intention to flame Yamaha, just trying to understand the reason why spend that much on a bass that has so many top-notorious competitors.

Thanks,
    Jay

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I had an SVB500 for almost five years and liked it a lot. It now belongs to 'arrowheadguitar' (see above photo).

The best bass I've ever tried is the TRB6PII. If I only had the money! :bawl:

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Had a BB405 I sold to a fellow TBer recently. Right before I shipped it and played it again and almost punched myself for being sooo stupid and selling it. It played and sounded great! I'll get another one soon enough. Music124.com was blowing out BB605's (the active version of the BB405) recently for $349! They didn't last long at that price...

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Metros are about $2200 direct/street ... so they are not in the same price range.

I played an Attitude Standard (which is just a nice normal PJ bass) for years and years, and always got compliments on my tone. I had been playing every <$600 (street) I could find at the time, just trying to find one that sounded better than my old peavey foundation, and that one really spoke to me. The only bass I played during that search that I liked better was a Hamer USA Chapperal PJ, but it was more than twice the price.

In that lower price range it is really hard to beat Yamaha and Peavey. I've also checked out a TRB-6 and a pattituchi sig, and both were very very nice, I can see them being just the perfect bass for some people, and I'd be happy to have one in my quiver.

10. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yamaha makes a great product. I used to own a BBN5II as well, my first 5-string. It was black, passive humbucker pickups (not the single coil version), alder body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard (sorry no pictures). The only thing I did to that bass was drop in an aftermarket preamp, a Basslines 3-band to be exact. I got some great tone from that bass, thick and chunky. Got a lot of mileage live and in the studio. I ended up selling because....well....uhh..well I don't know why. I guess the only nit pick was that compared to other 5-string necks it wasn't the most comfortable in my hands but still very nice. But for the money a great bass, can only image how their mid- to top of the line performs.

11. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Some good looking axes there :cool:

I've found out that Yamaha makes their own strings, i must get a set for my Warmoth '51 :bassist:

12. The second bass I bought was a BBG5S. Out of all my basses, it gets the most play time. The neck is the most comfortable I've ever felt. Once I got home and gave it a quick setup (action, intonation, etc.) it absolutely played like butter! I'll shoot myself if I ever sell it.

13. My first *real* bass was a Yamaha BB300. Single Yamaha P p/u, passive electronics. Played that bass for a DAMN long time. Wish I still had it, just for memory-sake.

Many basses later I got an RBX765A. I still play that bass quite a bit today. It's just a good, quality intsrument that isn't ridiculously priced.

I'd love a Myung 6. Actually thinking about it.

Really, I can't say anything negative about Yamaha at all. :hyper:

14. Paul_C

Paul_C Builder: Arrowheadguitars Basses

Mar 5, 2005
    Northampton, UK
    [​IMG]

I'm contemplating converting a couple of them into this :)

P.

15. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    alll the basses ive kept for a reasonable amount of time have been yamaha. The only one i have right now is a TRB 6p that was defretted. I want to get a matching fretted one this summer. Then ill be happy for a few days :)

-marty

16. I had originally gotten this bass to be a fun "project" bass. I wanted to just do some work on it and try out some mods on a bass other than my main player (also my first bass). I saw what is now my Yamaha BB404 on eBay for a great price, so I figured I'd go for it. Let's just say that I was beyond stunned when I saw it in person. Not to mention, after a setup to my taste, I love how easily it plays. I did end up changing the pickups to an EMG J-set, though the stock tone was pretty good as it is, I just wanted to do some work on it. So, without further ado, here's a picture of my baby (before I swapped pickups and changed the knobs to chrome). It still stuns me when I take it out of the case.
    [​IMG]

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Their drums kick ass. Make their own hardware, too.

18. I've played quite a few lower end Yamahas as well as the higher end ones. Even with the lowest priced model I was impressed with the fretwork and just how nicely the bass could be set up. Wiring was kinda garbage-y, but the bass did sound decent, more than enough for my friends recordings.

19. And I picked up my BB604 from MusiciansFriend.com back in January for $249!! They were only blowing out the black ones for that price--other colors were $449. Go figure. I love it.