1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha Attitude basses - awful ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by far0n, Apr 8, 2006.

1. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this but every time I listen to Billy Sheehan play those Yamaha things, I can't help but think how bloody awful it sounds. Never quite understood the weird pickup layout of them either... unique, but in my book, uniquely awful. Your thoughts.....

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't like his sound so much for just playing in a band setting but I think he's got a perfect sound for his crazy soloing.
    I believe the extra pickup at the neck has a separate output and goes to a different amp EQ'd with tons of bass.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Stereo outputs, scalloped neck, great tone, great feel. I love them! Plus, they look awesome!

4. They are great basses, but you need 2 amps (or someway to get around the 2 output thing). The other thing is the necks are soooo big !!

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    The tone actually kind of reminds me of a rickenbaker... and it's well known how a ric's use is somewhat niche, and I'd say the attitude is the same way. Coincidentally, the quickest players of the generation before Sheehan were all using rics.. well, Geddy and Squire at least.

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    For one, you can easily run both pickups through the same output, just like a Ric. Another thing, you have to actually play one of these things to truly appreciate it. It is the perfect rock bass, IMO.

7. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Billy's tone is not JUST from the bass. He also plays through an Ampeg preamp.

I use my Attitude Limited through a BBE BMax preamp, and it gets fantastic tone.

As far as using both outputs, you don't have to. The tone control is a push/pull pot. When it's down, both pickups are routed to one output. When you pull it up, it turns to stereo with each pickup going to it's own output.

I've gone through many different basses, and when I say many, I mean about 100 or so. Besides my T-40, the Attitude Limited just has something that I love. The feel, tone, looks, playability, and electronics are just what I wanted in a bass.

You've also only heard them in one setup played by one person, Attitude through Ampeg preamp. Hardly enough to base a total opinion on. Try one out, you might find that they may suprise you.

I base that last statement on personal experiences with other basses. Example, when Bongo's came out, I thought they were the ugliest things out there. I wouldn't even try one. Until one day I actually tried one out and found that the tone was awesome.

In short, I guess what I was trying to say is, don't judge something by only one thing.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    The one of these i saw had like a 2 bolt neck?!? :confused:

And, yes the neck is huge!!!

9. i own one too. it's really a 4 bolt neck but the other two are on the other side of the neck under the pickguard. bolts from the top and bottom sides. i like the sound alot but it hurts to play it, especially at long gigs... i'm a little guy and the bass is very neck heavy and i always get blisters on my frethand thumb. I love billy's tone for niacin live and cds(especially the first two) but i agree his sound for some of his other albums is unique and an aquired taste.

10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    the sound you'll hear on a Mr Big record or whatever will be more than just the direct sound of a Yamaha Attitude bass... mine doesn't sound anything like that tone

it basically sounds like a P-Bass with more low end, with a tiny hint of Jazz Bass sound (phase cancellation with the 2 pickups blended i'm assuming?)

i'm happy with mine... after getting a Jazz Bass my old P-Bass gathered dust because it just didn't pump out the low end of the Jazz.. wheras now I've got the P-Bass tone AND plenty of lows - the pickup configuration makes perfect sense to me

my only beef is that the neck is a bit too thick but I can live with that