Yamaha Attitude Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, May 16, 2005.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    After playing a Tenth Anniversary model and discovering that I'd stumbled upon perfection, I've been obsessed with Sheehan customs. So, is there anybody out there who knows about the various models? Things like features, quality, prices, finishes, etc. I can't find anything on the internet.

2. Ironically, I've just sold my Attitude 10th Anniversary! Metallic Purple - really was a lovely bass, but I need the cash! Layed nice and was good for recording (as you could record both pickups on different tracks)

I think the bulk of them have the same features - other than the budget models.

The 10th Anniversary was basically an attitude II with a special finish - either black metallic or purple metalic (mine was purple!_. The standard ones have come in a varitye of colours over the years - Blue, Red, Sea Foam Grean and Black I think. All of them have the woofer pickup at the neck and a P pickup. Stereo out puts and a Hipshot D Tuner. Think the scalloping is standard across the range.

All of this is of course with the exception of the budget model (the designation escapes me). I seem to remember it's just a sort of P-bass clone. There was also a 5 string model - think it had a P and a J pickup.

Hope this helps for starters!
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yep... I think that's posted now! ;)

I remember when the Attitude series was released; Billy Sheehan was a player whose playing really appealed to me and those were my metal days so I was really interested in trying one out. Still haven't got my mitts on one but I'd love to try one sometime.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had an Attitude "Standard" which was just a regular PJ bass with the attitude body shape. It was a great bass for the money, around $500. I've never tried the proper one with the woofer pickup.

5. Yikes - not sure what happened....but I guess you saw my multiple posts....... :oops:
  6. Oh, something lese to think about while I remember, there is a bit of neck dive off the Attitudes, lightweight body, coupled with a big headstock and a Hipshot D Tuner all contribute to this, generally not a problem - until you reach for a beer with your left hand.......... :eek:
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    And you managed to delete them before I got my reply up! ;)

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Thanks for the info, guys.
  9. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I always liked the look of those basses, tho' never played one... something about the Strat-type pickguard seems to make sense./
  10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I'm actually debating on selling my Attitude 10th Anniversary. It's metallic black, great bass but i am having some serious gas for a new six string...

The new Attitude II modles that Yamaha is selling are only offered in Black and Sea Foam Green.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I could never get my mitts on one to try out so I made my own:

12. they should bring back the Attitude standard 5-string, but with a maple fingerboard this time.
  13. Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    I had the opportunity to play a 10th Anniversary model in black metallic 4 years ago. Unfortunately I had been playing bass for only a year then, and a) I didn't know who Sheehan was :eyebrow: b) I couldn't fully grasp the coolness of the bass :scowl: .

I just remember I liked it. :)
  14. 1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    I think their pretty cool, ive never played one but id like to. I got one question tho... what the hell are the "scalloped" frets do? are they like in a sitar where the pitch changes depending on how hard you press down?

15. I think the plan is maybe twofold for scalloped frets on the Attitude bass, firstly is like you describe - however I'll be honest and say I found that very hard to achieve. but secondly it does maje string bending and that kinda of vibrato easier! In addition to the scalloping, the fretwire is smaller on those frets it all helps! :bassist: