Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Attitude Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertUI, Jan 30, 2006.

1. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I just picked one of these up in trade, mainly because I was kinda bored and it played really well, I am also kinda amazed at how good it sounds. What I can't figure out however is the details of this wierd pickup that it has. This model isn't like the Billy Sheehan bass (no scalloping, rosewood board, and no P pickup). I've been messing around with it, but am just looking for someone who might have more detail on the bass. The one that I got looks identical to this one:
    [​IMG]

Which I have to humbly thank "Symbad Bassist" for allowing me to steal from his site. So does anyone know anything about these basses? I know they're made in Taiwan and were probably pretty cheap... but I am just looking for details, particularly what is going on under that big black pickup cover.

Thanks!

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I bought an attitude standard (same bass but with PJ pickups) new in about 1992. Really good bass for the money (about $500). I still have it, thought its a mutant now, since the truss rod snapped and I replaced the fingerboard myself.

I saw the deluxe in the catalog at the time and always wondered what that pickup sounded like.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    looks to me like an electronic setup similar to a Musicman Sterling.
    Humbucker with a Series/Parallel/SingleCoil switch.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    IIRC it actuall has like 6 coils, and a 5 way switch for different combos ... something like that.

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

Yeah, it is a 5 way switch, and I am trying to figure out what they are doing.

Rob

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'll see if I can dig up that manual ... or you could email yamaha.

7. Going to resurrect this thread for archival clarity.

The pickup is configured as three sets of split coils (six total) stacked in three lines (Bridge, Center, Neck).

The switching is as follows:
    1. (Nearest the Bridge) - Two stacked Bridge coils (similar to the Bridge pickup configuration of a J Bass).
    2. (2nd from Bridge) - Top Neck coil and bottom Bridge coil (similar to a P Bass).
    3. (Middle position) - Two stacked Center coils.
    4. (2nd from Neck) - Two stacked Bridge and two stacked Neck coils (similar to both J bass pickups).
    5. (Nearest the Neck) - Two stacked Neck coils (similar to the neck pickup configuration of a J Bass).

It's a very good instrument with one caveat; the screws (6) holding the neck in place have stripped, and with replacement hardware I no longer have intonation/tuning issues. It's my beater/practice/travel instrument after losing a Hwy 1 P bass to Hurricane Sandy.