Yamaha Attitude Ltd. : Billy Sheehan's sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zacl, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

Well, if any of you know me to some extent, you know that I'm a gear freak. (I hear that runs in the bass player family though)

Anyway, I started out playing a 6-string 4 years ago, and since my musical direction has changed a bit, and I "down-graded" to a 5-string, that I'm currently using.

Lately though I've been heavily getting into Billy Sheehan, his tone, and his equipment etc...

Long story short :

What are your opinions on his signature bass?

Do you believe for what he was going for, that it is a good bass?
  2. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi zacl,

I had the original Yamaha Attitude Ltd about ten years ago. Back then I was a huge, huge fan so I persuaded my parents to but me it for my 18th birthday. I have no experience of the Attitude II.

Generally speaking it's a quality bass. I had some trouble with a push-push knob, but other than that it was great. The overall feel was good. It looked stunning (you'll get noticed) and many of the features are useful, if flashy. D-Tuner: great, half scalloped upped frets: great.

The twin outputs were a complete waste of time IMO. Unless you've got the money for two rigs. I never used that feature. Worse still was the DiMarzio Model 1. Don't even think about slapping on that bass. I had no room for my popping finger. But Billy doesn't slap so I couldn't really expect that.

Out of all of the signature basses available, you'd be hard pressed to find a more esoteric model. This isn't a Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee bass that can be widely used. This is Billy's bass, and I think the only person to get the most out of all the features is Billy himself.

At the time I thought that having this bass would turn me into Billy Sheehan over night. With hindsight this is the most stupid thing ever. Don't make the same mistake I did.

So, it's a quality bass, but I'd think twice about buying it. Why not spend the cash on a custom bass that's made especially for you?

Hope this helps.