1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha Attitude Ltd. : Billy Sheehan's sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zacl, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

Well, if any of you know me to some extent, you know that I'm a gear freak. (I hear that runs in the bass player family though)

Anyway, I started out playing a 6-string 4 years ago, and since my musical direction has changed a bit, and I "down-graded" to a 5-string, that I'm currently using.

Lately though I've been heavily getting into Billy Sheehan, his tone, and his equipment etc...

Long story short :

What are your opinions on his signature bass?

Do you believe for what he was going for, that it is a good bass?

2. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi zacl,

I had the original Yamaha Attitude Ltd about ten years ago. Back then I was a huge, huge fan so I persuaded my parents to but me it for my 18th birthday. I have no experience of the Attitude II.

Generally speaking it's a quality bass. I had some trouble with a push-push knob, but other than that it was great. The overall feel was good. It looked stunning (you'll get noticed) and many of the features are useful, if flashy. D-Tuner: great, half scalloped upped frets: great.

The twin outputs were a complete waste of time IMO. Unless you've got the money for two rigs. I never used that feature. Worse still was the DiMarzio Model 1. Don't even think about slapping on that bass. I had no room for my popping finger. But Billy doesn't slap so I couldn't really expect that.

Out of all of the signature basses available, you'd be hard pressed to find a more esoteric model. This isn't a Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee bass that can be widely used. This is Billy's bass, and I think the only person to get the most out of all the features is Billy himself.

At the time I thought that having this bass would turn me into Billy Sheehan over night. With hindsight this is the most stupid thing ever. Don't make the same mistake I did.

So, it's a quality bass, but I'd think twice about buying it. Why not spend the cash on a custom bass that's made especially for you?

Hope this helps.