Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Attitude Plus vs. Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jan 5, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I'd like to add a P Bass style bass to my collection. The problem I have run into with the Fenders is that they are very inconsistently built (at least the ones I've tried). However, all the Yamaha's I've tried thus far have been consistently built to very high standards, I just think their passive electronics tend to be very noisy. So that leads me to thinking that I'd enjoy a Yamaha P bass clone like the attitude plus (not interested in the Franken Billy Sheehan bass). I'd of course have to upgrade the electronics on the Yamaha (that'll be another thread). It seems that these Attitude plus basses can be had pretty cheaply but I am unsure of their playability or weighting (looks a touch neck heavy). Has anyone tried one of these?

I tried the Attitude once but it was awhile back and I really didn't know my A$$ from a hole in the ground then... Actually the only Fender P Bass I've tried that I liked was a Squire and of the 10 that where in the store there was only one I liked - Fender is kinda' strange.

2. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I'm a Fender guy but you are right they tend to be inconsistent compared to Yamaha, although everything seems to be inconsistent compared to Yamaha. My problem with Yamaha is the noisey pick up and then just the brightness of sound in general from Yamaha instruments. I would just play as many basses as you can and find one that speaks to you.

3. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I finally found a Fender that I really like. Too bad it is the Fender Jaco relic. I bet my wife would love it if I dropped 2 g's on that thing it looks like hell but plays like heaven.

4. Instead of going Fender or yamaha, why not try Lakland. They have the Bob Glaub sig. Also, if you like hands on stuff (I sure do), go warmoth. The quality is consistant, you can pick woods, hardware, electronics etc., and I can gaurentee if you do things right you end up with a bass worth way more than what you payed for it (playability and tone wise)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm definately a Fender guy, recently turned my P-bass into Billy's Wife (I refer to it as the girlfriend, LOL) and it's amazing. However, I can't say anything about the Yamaha Attitudes, but I'm definately gassing for one, especially the seafoam green Limited II's to refinish in hot pink...don't ask.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I am a Fender guy. Not the greatest player but I have noticed that Fender's other folks think are bad are usually fixable with a decent setup.

Don't they use the same parts per mexico usa or japan as any other produced in each country?

I do rather enjoy tweaking it to play like I want it cuz it makes it mine.

tk

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, the thing you heard along those lines is that either they were made in Mexico by Mexicans or the US by Mexicans :p

Anyway, the quality of US Fenders is more consistent than the Mexicans, but the best bass I've ever played is a Mexican Precision, the only thing original is the wood, but that's what makes MIM basses so great, that you can make them yours for a decent price.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    What I had mean was the usa basses have the same parts per say as do the MIM and MAJ basses.

I have played one of each and liked each for a different reason.

I would be playing several of them high dollar USA models were I able to afford them.

I have heard good things about the Yamaha too but haven't gotten to play one.

tk

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No.

For example, the MIAs have graphite reinforced necks, the MIMs and MIJs do not. Most MIJs have basswood bodies, MIMs have alder bodies, and MIAs have alder or ash bodies.

And there are other differences in hardware, electronics, etc.

10. diamondsplit

diamondsplit Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2012
    N.J
    I here you on that I owned a Fender elite II Fender Custom Shop nos P Bass, 2011 Fender 57 RI P Bass and now i own a 2000 Fender P bass deluxe these basses were made perfect. I have to say The NOS P Bass I owned was such a great bass I should have never sold it. The fender Elitte II was built like a tank and played and looked incredible for it's age I sold it because i made a 500 dollar profit. I had the RI that was a really nice bass i traded yp for and now the 2000 P Deluxe that plays and looks like a dream. i here a lot of people say that 06 and newer are better built. I owned a Tony Franklin Fretless that was 2012 and it had blemishes in the paint it did not sound good at all and out of the box the adjustment was garbage. I had 2009 Fender Deluxe it was the only black one i ever seen with a Rosewood fretboard. i don't know why or what happened if it was shipped and the neck cracked and replaced something was not right and it just seemed like it was not built with great quality and i think both the Elite II and the older deluxe basses sound so much better. i had a 2013 58 RI and when i got it the neck was bowed and it got fixed by the dealer i bought it from. Then after that the bass could not stay in tune so i got my money back. I had 50 th anniversary Jazz that was built perfect and 96 AM J bass that was built very well. The mid 90's and early 2000's were built very good and i forgot about 2014 p bass that was built great but I like the 50's custom shop PUPs better then the 60's custom shop. They have a deeper more heart throbbing sound.