Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Attitude Standard tuning key probs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by briandrivesabug, Jun 23, 2005.

1. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    Hi all, I just got a Yamaha Attitude Standard and unfortunately the tuning keys seems a little loose. By that I mean that the keys on the machines are somewhat pinned together, the gear and key are not all one piece. That being said whenever I hit a high note they create a sort of buzz, as the keys are a little loose on their shaft. Which doesn't happen after I've just tuned the string- so they sort of lock up when I'm tuning and function properly but if I'm playing hard they loosen up and buzz. Has anyone had this experience and is there a repair or is replacement my only option. I'm sure I'll figure something out tonight but if I need to replace what will fit this bass. It has 3 screw back open gear type machines. Thanks!

2. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    Actually I double checked my bass last night and it seems that the whole tuning key, worm gear and all is loose on most of my machines, Is there a way to tighten these up?
    Thanks

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There is usually a screw or nut you can tighten. Consult the owners manual, or take it back to the shop you got it from and have them tighten things up.

4. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    The newer Yamahas do, but mine is not equipped with the tension adjustment. I got it on Ebay so not much of an option there. Plus schallers and other types are only 40-50$ for a much nicer quality machine. Does anyone know which brand and model will match the preexisting holes the best?
    Thanks