Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Attitude Standard-used beginner rigs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by briandrivesabug, Jun 5, 2005.

1. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    I'm thinking of buying a bass guitar, I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now and just want to expand a little. I'm looking for a good solid bass. What kind of quality is a used Yamaha Attitude Standard with the p/j pickups and 3 way strat switch and what should I be paying for one? The one I saw is black and in excellant condition. Any suggestions for blues/classic rock rigs in the under 500$ range are appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played one of those for ages, and for the price its a great bass. Build quality is really high, the play nicely, and have a warm, solid sound.

For $500 if you shop used you should be able to find a Fender American Standard Precision Bass, which is well superior to the Yahama in tone (the yamaha plays just as well). For $500 new its going to be hard to beat a Yamaha.

3. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    Just wondering, also I have seen many and I mean many Fender's with neck bow and s-curve problems. Is the Yamaha neck more stable? I like the fenders but I'd really prefer a more stable neck setup-ala Warmoth with steel stiffening rods and the like.
    Thanks.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Post '94 American Made fenders have graphite stiffening rods and are very stable. The yamaha does not have anything but a 1 piece maple neck and a truss rod, so it will be more likely to twist. On the fenders with "neck bow problems" did you try adjusting the truss rod?

5. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    I've never actually owned one, I'm looking for my 1st bass. I 've seen many in music shops and I inspect my instruments very closely. Most of the Fenders I've seen are probably post 94's though they still have alot of frett buzz-probably just setup issues. I'm cautious though, so forgive me. I take it everyone is trying to steer me away from the Yamaha.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Not at all, but ANY bass you buy will play and sound a lot better if you pay a tech to set it up for you. If you can, get them to let you watch so you can learn to do it for yourself. The attitude standard is a good bass.

7. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    So what would you expect a fair price price for a standard used attitude in nearly new condition would be? (US dollars)

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  9. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    I very much appreciate it!

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    One last thing ... if you get to the point where you're outgrowing the sound and want a little more oomph ... a set of replacement pickups will do wonders for that bass. I put a Seymour Duncan "Hot" P-bass and a Carvin humcancelling J in mine and it made a big difference.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

Tone is completely subjective. I own an Attitude Plus and I think it's tone is just fine. Subjectively speaking, I think it's tone is better than any Fender I've played. It's clearer and for what I'm listening for, it has just the right amount of mids and lows.

12. briandrivesabug

briandrivesabug

Jun 5, 2005
    Does this bass have the 6 bolt neck, and what brand are the pickups?
    Thanks,
    B