1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha Attitude wiring Diagram or Picture

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EHolmes, Mar 28, 2008.

1. EHolmes

EHolmes

Sep 10, 2007
    Hi Guys
    I really need the wiring diagram or a picture of the wiring of an Attitude,i trying to build a bass that sounds like Billy Sheehans but i cant afford his bass. So if anyone can help me out that would be great.thanks
    Ernie

2. EHolmes

EHolmes

Sep 10, 2007
    Somebody?

3. EHolmes

EHolmes

Sep 10, 2007
    thanks guys! :help:

4. RobertUI

RobertUI Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    i don't know much about the wiring, but a dimarzio model 1 added to a p bass in front of the p-pickup will get you what you're looking for. i know you were asking about the Yamaha, but consider first the fact that the yamaha was made in an effort to duplicate (to some extent) the bass shown below...

here's some text that talks about his main bass http://www.szekely-home.net/BILLY SHEEHAN.htm there's lotsa pics included there as well.

couple seconds of searching gave me this pic:

[​IMG]

5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    The Yamaha is, in stereo, two separate signals. The neck pickup is volume, tone, out. The P pickup is Volume, out.

6. EHolmes

EHolmes

Sep 10, 2007
    Hi Guys
    i finally got the yamaha wiring diagram the other day for the attitude limited.its great cause came with the parts list for the bass.so i ordered the pots and the pups so i can put together a sound alike attitude with out having to have to pay out over a grand for one.so after its done ill put pictures up. an if it comes out good enough i might start building them.
    Ernie

7. SheeHAMM

SheeHAMM

Jun 22, 2008
    Seoul, Korea
    Maybe it's too late, but I desperately need the diagram.
    I bought an Attitude LTD II on eBay, the bass seems pretty good on the outside but the wiring!! everything has been replaced, not even one potentiometer has any push/pull function at all. I opened the pickguard and found some poor solderings. Fortunately both pickups are genuine and working fine. I had to re-solder every point to make this bass sing, and now it's got its voice back.

I am planning to restore its original wirings. Since it's rather complicated for a passive circuit, I need your help.

Please reply, I hope it's not too late!

8. Timm

Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    Actually it's not that complicated.

Neck pickup -> volume -> tone -> output jack 1 (maybe it's tone -> volume, I can't remember)
    P-Pickup -> volume -> output jack 2

Then there is two push-pull knobs:
    On the tone knob, it activates a high-cut which is basically a capacitor to ground.
    The push-pull on the p-pickup volume knob short circuits the two output jacks to enable "mono" mode.

9. SheeHAMM

SheeHAMM

Jun 22, 2008
    Seoul, Korea
    Thank you Timm for your amazingly quick reply!
    I do understand what you explain and how it works but just can't draw a diagram. =( I was thinking of showing the diagram along with the parts list to a local luthier.

By the way, I have played this bass for only half an hour and already fell in love with it! It has been the bass of my dreams for several years. I saved up to get one, but unfortunately all this happened. I don't blame the seller, though, for this might teach me not only a lesson but how to deal with this 'electronics' stuff.

Timm, or anyone, could you tell me about the capcitor and the potentiometers (linear or logarithmic, etc.) in the original circuit?

- From Seoul, Korea with gratitude :)

10. SheeHAMM

SheeHAMM

Jun 22, 2008
    Seoul, Korea
    Money talks!

I PURCHASED the service manual PDF on a website (not YAMAHA) for $18.
    I hope that I am the last one who buys/bought it. If it's no problem, I would love to share it with you guys.

By the way, LTD II has push/pull knobs? I thought they were all push/push (more expensive) knobs.

11. Timm

Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    I opened up my attitude today, and draw a wiring diagram for you.

The diagram should contain all the details you need, otherwise just ask.

Attached Files:

mysteryclock likes this.
  12. SheeHAMM

SheeHAMM

Jun 22, 2008
    Seoul, Korea
    Thanks, Timm, for all your help.

I finally restored the electronics to the original state (push/pull pots, separate outputs, high-cut switch, mono/stereo switch...) based on the diagrams and Timm's kind help, but there remains one problem - or a natural phenomenon.

When I blend two outputs together (by pulling the P-PU volume knob) the tone knob affects the tone of P-Pickup. Yes, as far as I know it is INEVITABLE and so natural, thinking of how the passive circuit are supposed to work.

What I would like to know is:
    Does it work the same for the original, never-modified Attitude LTD II? I expect it will work the same for them, if their circuit is based upon the same schematic.

Of course, there is no problem when I split the signals. The tone knob and high-cut switch only affects the neck woofer pickup, and the P-pickup is connected to its output through a volume pot. The way it should be.

Attitude LTD II users, please test your instruments and advise me. I wish I could ask Mr. Sheehan directly!

Actually I did send him email a few times to learn his wiring, which is known to be a little different from the regular Attitude LTD II. Unfortunately and obviously he is too busy to hear me.

13. Timm

Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    Hi SheeHAMM,

I'm glad to hear that the diagram helped.
    I haven't actually noticed myself that the tone knob affects the P-pickup also, when in mono mode.

I don't run mono mode but for another reason. I discovered that when in mono mode, the P-Pickup looses some treble, and I like treble :)
    I'm actually considering doing something crazy like routing the body for a bridge jazz pickup, or maybe another P-Pickup like Lomenzo's Yamaha.

14. SheeHAMM

SheeHAMM

Jun 22, 2008
    Seoul, Korea
    It really is a pleasure talking to you, Timm.

In mono mode, have you tried slightly rolling off the neck PU volume? It might give back the P-pickup's treble. I figured out (somewhat an obvious fact) that these pickups/pots interact to each other.

I don't have any bi-amp system - Who does!? - so it's hard to check the tonal difference between dual-ouput mixed through outboard equipment and mono-output mixed by short-circuiting the output jacks. Since I have to/will run only one amp for a while, I should study more on mono mode.

I will appreciate any opinions, know-hows, suggestions.
    Thanks TalkBass and all the folks here.

15. Timm

Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    I have tried to turn the neck pickup down and it works okay, except that you don't hear the it much then, and I just love the sound of the neck pickup.

I don't have a bi-amp rig either - heck I don't even have a rig :-( I always run direct to the PA system (with a Boss Gt-6B as amp simulator).
    For now, I'm using a small mixer to sum the two outputs. I can then also use the mixer to EQ the pickups differently. A little bass boost and treble cut on the neck pickup, and a large bass cut, and a little mid/treble boost on the precision.

I'm considering buying a POD X3 so I can simulate two complete bass rigs... :)

16. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
  17. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Timm, thanks for the schematic, I've been searching for a similar one as I plan to turn my PJ clone into a Sheehan-clone.

SheeHAMM, the phenomenon you're describing is pretty normal. Since the bass is all-passive and has no active components that would isolate the pickups' controls from one another, once you do switch to mono mode each tone control you turn or switch affects all the pickups.

18. chateauxstudios

chateauxstudios

Apr 4, 2010
    SheeHAM,
    I just bought a second hand Attitude II and was wondering you'd like to share the pdf you have?

19. SheeHAMM

SheeHAMM

Jun 22, 2008
    Seoul, Korea
    Yeah, everyone says that. I decided to live with it, thanks!

By the way, I met Billy [Sheehan] at Musikmesse 2010!
    My company (a small trading company I work for) had a stand right across from Rotosound stand, and Billy was there on Friday and Saturday. There weren't so many people and I had good chances to get his autographs, take pics and talk to him!
    He was really kind and cheerful. And when I mentioned the wiring diagram of AttLtdII, he said he remembered my email though he had been too busy to give an answer. He said that the only difference in HIS bass was that he had replaced the tone pot (a push-push switching pot) with a simple pot and added toggle switches for output selection. Nothing different in its function.

He asked if I had my new bass strung with Rotosound BS66 strings, and I told him it was not imported to where I live, South Korea. He asked Mr. [Jason] How to give me a set of BS66 strings for free! How nice of both of them, and I got the BS66 package autographed by Billy.:hyper: Oh I am talking too much!

Anyone needs the service manual including the wiring diagram, just send email to me. I will attach the pdf file in reply.

20. wow - another great story about him. like his playing, or not, he seems to be the nicest guy in the biz!