Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Attitude

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krogolas, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Krogolas

Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Finland
    Yesterday I played that bass (cant remember the excact model) at a music store and I was suprised to see how good it was. It was excellent, so easy to play, even it is a pretty big bass. The neck was excellent and the tone was also great.

But I didn´t quite understand the meaning of those carvings on the highest frets on the D and G strings, what are those for?

And secondly I ask opinions from people who have that bass. What do you think of it?

2. The scalloped fretboard is for bending notes/vibrato.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    When Billy Sheehan and Yamaha designed the Attitude, they included a lot of the features of Billy's highly modified P Bass. After seeing Yngwie J. Malmsteen in concert, Billy added scallops to his upper frets on the D and G so that when he bent high notes you wouldn't hear the sound of finger sliding across fingerboard.

The Attitude that you played is kind of like a P Bass on steroids...the added Gibson EBO style pickup up by the neck gives you the option of massive low end.

Billy Sheehan's set up involves two different amplifier setups. The P Bass Pup (a DiMarzio Will Power Middle and my favorite P Bass pup) drives a distorted amp array while the EBO humbucker (a DiMarzio Will Power Neck pickup) is routed to its own amplifier set for deep lows. Unsing the on-board volume controls, you can balance the volume of the two setups.

IIRC, you can push down on one of the controls and have the pickup outputs combined to one jack for using them with a single amp.

I owned a lower level Attitude, the Attitude Plus (essentially a P Bass copy) and it was a wonderful budget bass. I would expect the Sheehan model to be even better.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

The scallops are for string bending/vibrato......the top 5 frets also are made from a thinner freetwire than the rest of the frets.

Mine is an Attitude X - 10th Anniversary model. I really like it.

It is very like a P bass, but neck heavy - bigger headstock aand the D Tuner makes it neck dive a little. Plays nice and sounds real fat - as I donb't have the luxury of 2 rigs at the moment, I blend the outputs from the 2 pickups. Very nice!

5. Krogolas

Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Finland
    Thanks guys!
    I really dig those basses (so easy to play), and if I had lots of money I´d buy one straight away.

And I noticed the string better on those places but I wasnt sure about the true meaning.