Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Attitudes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman_17, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bassman_17

bassman_17

Feb 2, 2005
    Hey guys,
    I'm seriously thinking of adding a yamaha attitude to my collection :bassist: ... Any insights into playability/sound? There are none in shops around here so i would have to order without playing.. Anyway, any info would be helpful. Cheers

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Killer Precision-based bass. Typically excellent Yamaha construction/QC, name-brand pickups, dual outputs (mono capable), Hipshot "D-Tuner". I've read that some people have found the neck too chunky and the bass too heavy, but I've found it to be around your average P neck and weight. The major criticism is that players tend to find the woofer pickup inhibiting their slap technique, but if you've not a huge slapper IMO this is by far the best mass-production P-bass on the market.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good basses, haven't played on in a while, couldn't afford it, so I built my own, electronically identical to his original "wife"

Sounds great, great quality, Hipshot Xtender, wired for stereo. Awesome.

4. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anybody know anything about the Attitude "Deluxe" model? It has a single humbucker (loook like an MM without the tabs) in the middle position, a strat-like selctor swich, and V&T knobs. There's a photo of one in "How the Fender Bass Changed the World" on page 157, and the caption says it was "a simplified 'club musician' version" of the Sheehan model. I like the look of it, but have yet to see one.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're not too common, IIRC, the switch is for singlecoil, series, parallel. The bass is quality, however, not the top quality model IIRC.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I own an Attitude Plus and the neck is anything but chunky. I love Spector necks and this one is way too narrow for my taste. Maybe the Attitude II and Deluxe are different. As far as the weight, it's comparable to a P bass, so it isn't too heavy. There is a bit of neck dive because of the big headstock, but nothing that moving the strap button won't fix.

7. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, tp. That's what I was hoping to hear, and it's helpful. I've got my eyes out for one.

8. bassman_17

bassman_17

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks for all the info! I do slap but i want a bass thats a good p-bass... And this sounds like it! I'll have to sell of my fender and my 5er but I don't use them that much... now that I have my Lakland :p this looks like the way to go! dont think I'll use the stereo output much though aha. Thanks for the help! More info would be appreciated! Thanks

9. foyos

foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    Hi everyone!I was thinkin on getting myself a new yamaha bass(i have a bb404)namely the attitude plus,do you have any idea comment?txs in advance

10. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I thought that I'd throw my $.02 in on this one.

I just got an Attitude Deluxe in trade, and am quite impressed with it (as I am of all Yamaha products). If you haven't checked out the Deluxe, it's VERY different than the Billy Sheehan bass, as it's got that big huge 'Bucker pickup where the P would/should be. The rosewood neck gives the bass a very warm feel (to me anyway).

Right now I am seriously considering for a DarkStar project that I've been debating... (I really need mental help).

:bassist: