1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha B-100 bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lc12345678, Apr 18, 2006.

1. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    Hi there I have the opportunity to buy a Yamaha B-100 bass head(70's) for $100. I looked on the web for any details but I can't really find much talk about them. It would be great if anyone here has anything to say about them!! good bad or the ugly!!
    any info would be great.

2. I had a friend with one of these. They're only 100 watts RMS, which is okay if that's all you need, but they're also as large as an Ampeg V4BH, although nowhere near as heavy. They're pretty reliable. The controls (all rotary) have a great, smooth action feel to them. The sound is a bit on the mellow side, although the speakers I heard it through were typical for those around in the late '70s/early '80s. It's not a bad head, just find the right application for it.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The one with the distortion circuit or not? There have been a few Yamaha bass amps from that era on eBay lately...

If it's the one without the distortion circuit (control panel at the top like a Fender rather than at the bottom like a Marshall) the guy that just sold a Yamaha 2x15 posted a nice size catalog and specification page for the amps... He apparently gave the catalog to the winner of the auction before I could beg for a scan of some more pages:(

4. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    this head has built-in distortion.
    thanks for the info so far!!

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

plenty reliable, plenty loud when used with the Yamaha 2x15 cab that had theport to the side of the speakers. Used one with a 200S cab in a C&W band for a few weeks as a sub. It thumped pretty darn good. At the time I was using a '72 fretless P with GHS Pro-Formuls Tapewounds.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    IIRC, there are some reviews of the B100 in the Bass Amp section of the user reviews on www.harmony-central.com

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the absolute worst piece of gear I ever owned was a late 70s 1x15" 100 watt Yamaha combo... it had the distortion control too. I paid $100 for it and a year later I put it out for bulk pickup

8. lc12345678

lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    just wondering why you thought that the head was awful. Was it the tone, etc....? Or was the cabinet part of the problem? Any info would be great!!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    dull lifeless tone, thin & harsh... worse amp I've owned. Maybe mine was beat.... maybe I was expecting too much from a cheap & old practice amp.

... maybe it was the huge 1x15 speaker and cabinet it was mounded in.

besides price, I bought it because I've dug everything I've owned from Yamaha past and present.