Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha B100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PwX-Steve, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Hey,
    im thinking of buying a Yamaha B100.
    i dont know jack about this amp. here are a few questions.

1) What is the Yamaha brand like
    2) What is the wattage of this amp
    3) Is it a head or a combo?
    4) If it is a head, what type of cab do u suggest

and any other info you think i should know about before i go spending cash

steve

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I don't know about their bass amps but Yamaha is a HUGE company which makes tons of different thing from CD player to motorcycle.
    And, in every case, they make stuff at somewhat every price range and globally, their products have a rather good price/quality ratio (even Hi Fi speakers now).
    I had a yamaha CD Burner, a yamaha Home Theater Receiver, I tried 2 yamaha basses etc ... and everything was quite good.
    But when they make cheap things ... like any other brand, you've got what you've paid, a cheap gear.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The B100 line has gone through quite a few revs.

My first ever B100 was a huge black box that looked kinda like an Acoustic amp. Had built in distortion (fuzz, actually not that bad), 3 band passive eq and volume, 100W into 4 ohms. Overall the tone was somewhere between a full dumpster being hit on the side with a bat and a tractor trailer engine idling. Fun for loud punk.

Yamaha at some point upped the amp to have more controls, with pink, lime green and pale blue labelling ( mid to late 80's) when hair bands were the rage; think "looks good with your pink spandex". Still 100W but I remember testing it out at a store and being surprised at the sound, nowhere near as bad my earlier experience. Very clean hifi type sound.

The 3rd version I've had the pleasure to try is one that I would love to buy for myself, I think it's the B100II or III. It looks like an old Fender style head with brown fabric and angled control panel. It has volume, 3 band passive and a 5 band rotary eq which works very well. This amp has got major balls (lots of low end, nicely barky mids, hi trebles are so-so) although it is very easy to clip. Not recommended if you need clean sounds unless you're going to be using it at low volumes. I get to use one occasionally on loan with my garage band and it does a great job.

Ultimately it depends on what you're looking for. It's not going to be an SWR or Eden head, fer sure, but in the right setting they are pretty decent.

remy26 likes this.
  4. ihixulu

that is a hell of alot of info thank you muchly!!!!.

i dont actually know what series it is (II or III) and im actually in a punk band so that was an UP for me. i was wondering because this is an online store i was thinking of buying it oss, did you have any pictures of the head that i could see before i enquire more info on this amp from the sellers?. much info is needed because i dont wanna buy a head and it totally sucks. I may also make my way to the store to see before i buy sorta thing but a picture would help because i dont wana waist my time.

cheers
    steve

5. Yamaha electronic products are cool when they work. The one real drawback is for any item that has been discontinued replacement parts are next to impossible to find. Yamaha has a habit of having a number of proprietary parts fabricated for a production run of a sppecific product plus maybe 5-10% surplus for repairs and refurbished items after that supply is gone it's SOL time baby. This is a part of the company philosophy, if you can call it that, sort of a designed obsolescence. If it is an older B100 stay away from it.

lesliegl likes this.
  6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    pwx steve,

I'll try and snag a pic this weekend of the head, I hope that's not too late for you.

FYI, I use the head with my Ampeg 410HE cab or an EV-15 cab and it sounds good either way.

How much are they asking for the head?

7. Thanks for getting us the pic
    and its not to late it has come down to a toss up between the Peavey TNT115 combo or the Yamaha B100.
    they are asking $350AUD

steve

8. Blasto

Blasto

May 12, 2009
    I know this post is old, but I have a B100 III for sale. Great condition, and has never let me down. Great head. 100w. two footswitchable parametric eq's, 3 band global graphic, 2way crossover. FX loop. $150obo

9. This post is forbidden without a supporting membership

10. nonorio@

nonorio@

Mar 26, 2006
    I have Yamaha B100 , it sounds nice, I like the sound but couldn't find the right speaker , because it's not loud enough to jam with Band , people said this is loud ,actually it is not , I will sell it on ebay and will be honest about it

11. Flogger59

Flogger59

Jan 4, 2011
    Regional Sales Manager, Contact Distribution
    This is a 10 year old thread.

12. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    OP, TalkBass has a rule that states you must be a supporting member in order to sell your gear here. In the interest of fairness, those of us who pay for this privilege would appreciate it if you would read and follow the rules. Thank you.

13. nonorio@

nonorio@

Mar 26, 2006
    Thank You and Sorry , but I did not really want to sell it here , I just want to explain my experience with this head , I realize it's sound like I'm selling it , but not yet , I'm gonna sell it soon, that's why I change the post , but if some what anyone is not happy I will delete it

14. bassexplorer

bassexplorer

Sep 29, 2008

You mean some electronic components used by Yamaha can absolutely not be replaced ?
    I generally thought any electronic part could be replaced, if not by original one, at least by equivalent, modern components.
    The tech I use to go to has already got old, less current amps from me (including a Yamaha JX50B and Hohner organofon) and he always finds compatible components.

15. 15 year old zombie post. Yes there are some proprietary parts in many products that can be difficult to impossible to replace after the stock is depleted. Yamaha, Zoom and Akai are examples of companies the have used specific chips that they manufactured in limited runs. In other castes technology or specific parts just do not exist anymore to bring some gear back to life.

16. Amazing, I've been looking for any info on this amp as I own the B100 III, and the first post was in 2001! And it has been started up again in 2016!

If anyone has any experience with this amp, I would love to hear from them. I am running it through a JBL 15" speaker cab.

I'm in my first band and I'm trying to work out what sound that would work best for the songs we play.