Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yamaha bass advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thugler, Mar 31, 2003.

1. thugler

thugler

Mar 31, 2003
    england
    I'm a beginner and was thinking of getting a yamaha rbx370 or bb404 ( I have about £250 to spend)
    Anyone know much about either, any advantages/disadvantages of each?
    thanks in advance.

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    tough question, what kind of music do you play? For some reason, the RBX is considered to be more of a rock bass, but I bet both would work about the same.

3. thugler

thugler

Mar 31, 2003
    england
    I play rock, punk, metal, mostly but I want to be able to play any style really, including slapping etc.

4. Oh no...here i am again ranting on about the RBX370, i use it in my punk/emo band, it's great personally i love it...it's worth it, i paid £230 from http://www.soundslive.co.uk .

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I used to own a Yamaha RBX370A. Worksmanship is tip top and its built like a tank. Sound wise, there are alot of options. Its active. But downside is that the electronics are a tad noisy. First thing I would do if I were you(if you're getting it) is to change the strings. They came with a set of steelrounds that were really mean to my fingers. Overall its a very good bass for the price.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    RBX all the way. The BB is for more of a jazz/funk feel, its smoother, but the RBX is the way for you. I suggest you have a look at the 5er...yummy.
    You cant go wrong with any yamaha, so i suggest you go for her.

Good luck!
    -Kirbo

7. thugler

thugler

Mar 31, 2003
    england
    thanks all.