Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Dec 15, 2000.

1. My uncle has a yamaha combo bass amp that hes currently using for extra desk space, and im looking to take it off his hands.. I dont know the exact model numbers, but it has a 15" driver, and i dont know how many watts. Its quite a large amp too.. and heavy!... i just wanna know if you guys have any knowledge of these yamaha amps.. i want a bigger amp, and i can get this one really cheap... family and all... or if its just not a good amp, i can save for a better used amp.. thanx people :)

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    My school had an old Yamaha bass amp that I liked very much. If I recall correctly, it was a B100-115. 15" speaker, the model number leads me to believe that it's 100 watts. As I recall, it had a built in crossover with front panel controls for two channels. Plenty of connection options on the back. The cabinent was absolutely huge - a fair bit bigger than my Crate BX-100. Had side mounted inset handles (kinda like the handles that Eden uses). Overall, the amp is over 19 years old right now (at least from the time of purchase) and it still works pretty well.

Tyr before you buy, it may be just what you want but then again you may really hate it.

3. B100-115.. yes thats the one.. u got it.. hehe.. im happy to know that u like it.. i havent tried it out yet but i will.. how's the output on it? How loud? I dont really know how loud 100 watts makes a 15" speaker..

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, I personally never used it for live playing, but it was a freaking loud practice amp. My high school jazz band's bass player used it for performances and it provided plenty of low-end with a Fender 70's P-bass. It even provided fair volume in outdoor venues (which is kinda suprising). For gigging, a 100 watts isn't a whole lot. But when your doing jazz for auditoriums and stuff it tends to work out pretty well. One thing that I need to say is that I really have a soft spot for 15"s. They aren't the best ever for slap though, so if that's you cup of tea then you may want to look into either adding an extension speaker (say a 2x10") or getting a 2x10" combo.

Anyway, try it out and see if it's what you like. As far as I can tell, it's pretty reliable. We've dragged it around to countless concerts over the past 19 years and it's never needed a repair once.

5. What kind of 2 x 10 extention cab would u recommend? For me, being 15 and unemployed, money is quite a large issue, and im relying on my christmas $$$ to pay for it. And, would the amp have enough power to run the 2x10 cab? thanx

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    This is just going by memory here, so check the back panel of the amp to see if it can support an extension cab. If I remember correctly, it will handle an 8 ohm extension cabinent.

Since you're on a budget, I'd go used. I personally have heard great things about SWR and Eden, though those aren't cheap at all. You might be able to pick up a SWR Workingman's 2x10T used. Otherwise check out Gallien-Krueger, Hartke, and Peavey. Check the for sale ads here at Talkbass as well as other sites like Harmony Central.

I personally don't think that getting another cab for the Yamaha is a necessity, it's just that it would add a bit on the top end for slapping and such. Try it out without one first, you may like the sound that it makes.

Here's some links for you:
    SWR Engineering
    http://www.swrsound.com

Gallien-Krueger
    http://www.gallien.com

Peavey Electronics
    http://www.peavey.com

Eden Electronics
    http://www.eden-electronics.com

Harmony Central
    http://www.harmony-central.com
    (The links in the Bass section of Harmony Central has about every link that you could ever want)

Finally, here's a site that has a lot of good reviews about cabinents and bass gear in general:

http://www-eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/bass-rev.html

Anyway, used will get you the best equipment for the money. Just remember that buying used will most likely mean that there won't be a warranty. Try before you buy. The kind of cab that you can get will depend upon you're budget. Eden and SWR are probably a bit too high. However, GK and Peavey can be found for reasonable prices on the used market. Hartkes can sometimes be found for a reasonable price as well.

[Edited by White_Knight on 12-16-2000 at 05:38 PM]

7. I just got one more question, then i stop nagging :) I have a crate bx-15 amp, its 12 watts, 8 inch speaker, and i was wondering, would it be possible to connect that amp to the bigger b100-115 yamaha? The crate handles highs well, and if this is possible, it would really help me out. I just dont wanna damage my beloved crate...hehe. thanx a lot for your help.

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Now that's a good question! I own the BX-15 as well, and believe it or not, I tried to hook them together. I think I plugged it into the wrong jack (this was before I knew much about amplifiers) because it fried my patch cable. I'm pretty sure that it can be done however. Just look for a jack labeled "line out", "effects send", or "pre-amp out". Those all send a line level signal out. From there, you'd connect to the input on your Crate. As I said, I think I must have plugged into the external speaker jack or something. Anyway, that's how you'd connect any two normal/modern amplifiers.

9. Heavier Than Thou

Heavier Than Thou

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi Lizard,

Just now seeing your post. I owned this amp about 20 years ago, and I felt I really should have taken more time and research before buying. Honestly, I don't know why I bought it.

The thing weighed about 100 lbs., and hauling that by the side handles, out of the station wagon and back into the house at 3:30 in the morning was no picnic, my friend.

I was never satisfied with the sound. It always seemed "distant" with no presence or punch. It had a distortion switch which sounded awful and was never used. I was playing a P-bass through it and the sound improved somewhat when I bought one of those little Graphic EQ units.

Good luck...

10. I remember that acursed thing.

Yes transporting was a big problem, which is way I changed to a Crate BFX-25. I would strain my back trying to move it from my house to the church where I gig regularly (my first experiences with bass tech/tour roadie :)). But man, the tone was great.

Thanks for the reminder...

Derek J. Power

11. Sooooo, I guess that its a good thing that i was unable to get it? yay for me! Only now, I am stuck with my Crate Bx-15 and a $5 bill in my pocket, which is all of my money by the way, drooling at posts about Ampegs, Edens, Carvins and the like... Hey, maybe that $250 gear giveaway that carvin has at their site may provide for some.. but for now, i am just dreamin of a new amp, and contemplating ways of getting the money, because i dont want to have to go to work and school at the same time...

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Carvin RL 2x10: Imp: 4½, Pw: 400w, 64 Hz to 16k Hz. 23.5"W x 18.25"D x 17.5"H, Wt. 50 lbs.

$300. + $25. shipping

I have the RL 4x10 and I have to admit its the best sounding cabinet Ive ever had. Ive had an Ampeg 1x15 in the past, Hartke and even Fender cabs, and my Carvin blows them away. They give you a pro sound without having to pay outragious prices.

13. I have one of these amps in my house right now, in fact it's been there since I boght it in Dec. 1977.
    Back then its tone was advertised as something
    like " A solid state amp with tube sound, " because it had FET circuits in it. I liked the sound otherwise
    I wouldn't have bought it, but, to partially agree with Heavier than thou, it sounded great with some
    basses, and not so great with others. I had a 1975
    P-bass and it sounded good, but sounded outrageous with a Rickenbacker! Overall the tone was very, very clean and it had a distortion control
    that, in my opinion, just made the amp sound like
    the speaker was blown. For 100 watts it did go pretty loud, but it was better for jazz than rock.
    It also was a pain to transport. It was just a wee
    bit too big, but, that big cabinet was, I think why it
    sounded so good for its power rating. I think I still
    have the owners manual at home. I think it weighs
    103 lbs, so Heavier, you're right on the money. I don't think mine could handle an extra cab though.
    I'll look at it when I go home tonight.

Ah the memories.

Mike J.