1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha bass in Music Man style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glenn Wasserman, May 14, 2018.

1. Glenn Wasserman

Glenn Wasserman

Sep 28, 2016
    I see a Yamaha bass for sale locally - and it looks just like a 5 string Sting Ray bass, but with the teardrop shaped pickguard (as opposed to the modern swoosh the string Sting Rays have).

Does anyone know if these basses are any good? I know Yamaha generally offers great value for the dollar. I have a Sterling 4-string that I love - wondering if this is a low-priced way to get the sound and feel of a Sting Ray for much less $.

(I know it's a copy, in some ways, so is my Sterling though)

Thanks

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    What model Yamaha? Post a couple pics?

3. Glenn Wasserman

Glenn Wasserman

Sep 28, 2016
    No model number provided. I have never seen one like this. Strange animal, huh??

Attached Files:

4. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Could be an OLP with a Yamaha sticker on the headstock to make it seem more cool.

TonyP-, Waytootrue, Axstar and 10 others like this.
  5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've owned Yammie BBs but had never seen such MM copies from them so can't tell. I own a couple USA Stingray 5ers and after owning some "sucedanes" (ranging from Ibanez ATKs to a G&L L-1505 -horrible bass BTW-) the only cheaper thing that feels and sounds like it is the Sterling by Musicman Ray35.

6. Glenn Wasserman

Glenn Wasserman

Sep 28, 2016
    It even has the wheel for truss rod adjustment. But the back plate is featureless, there are no numbers or markings elsewhere on it.

How about an OLP or SUB body, with a replacement Yamaha neck?

Attached Files:

Hand slap and Aqualung60 like this.
  7. Glenn Wasserman

Glenn Wasserman

Sep 28, 2016
    Seller just responded that it was bought new 8 years ago - in West Africa.

Ellery, Low84 and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah.... I don't think Yamaha would let anything out of their factories with that string retainer arrangement. Besides that, Yamaha doesn't do knock offs like that, they always use their own identifiable design; for example, they do P style basses, PJ style basses, etc, but you'd never mistake them for possibly being a Fender. Not even remotely.

This is some kind of cheap knock off of a Stingray, almost certainly from China. I guess someone thought they'd be clever by not putting a MM logo on it, while still trying to artificially increase the perceived quality and value.

Omega Monkey, Tobiasfin, Mili and 5 others like this.
  9. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    It’s not a SUB body, at any rate - no battery compartment.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. niel80

niel80

May 23, 2010
    Must be a Jay Turser JTB 440, I've seen those things cutomised a lot, one I saw one with a fender neck and I heard that there is a Pacific Neck that is a direct bolt on, BTW I own a BB434 and damn! what a great bass! Yamaha is more in to their own models now, no more knock offs, but who knows in the past... Again... the Jay Turser JTB 440 was famous for having good bodies and some good pasive electronics, but the necks where the bad thing...

Pbassmanca and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    It's a no name knockoff with a bad Yamaha sticker. Simple as that.

12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Agreed

There were a couple SUB 5 strings used on the GC website for $200. Unless the one in question here is $50 I'd go for another SUB.

Obese Chess likes this.
  13. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    Stingray copy with a yamaha neck. Frankenstein bass

14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    It's not a Yamaha neck, it's just a fake Yamaha sticker on a cheap no name neck.

15. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    West africa... everything from that region is legit! I got $3,000,000 coming to me from a west African Prince, all I had to do was wire him $5000 to get the money through customs...

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nah. That Yamaha logo isn't even correct. It looks like somebody bought a set of letter stickers and stuck them on the head.

I just scrolled through hundreds of images of Yamaha bead headstocks and can't find anything even close to that font at that spot on the head.

T'is a fake in my view.

HarveyRobertson and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. I think this might be a first. A fake of a fake.

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Fake !!!!!!!!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    More specifically about your question: no it's not a real Yamaha or Ray, and might be an OLP, but even that is probably not true.

None of this means that bass isn't good, or worth (what's the asking) price?

It's not going to have a preamp in it, which is an important part of the MM sound. For the right price, a good sounding cheap bass can be worth some time and parts to make it awesome. I bought a Dillion VMB-500 for $300(CAD), built a MM 3EQ pre with mods, and put a Nordstrand pickup in it, then sold my real EBMM because there was no point keeping it.

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not a Yamaha, not a single Yamaha part on it.

Not a Jay Turser, wrong bridge and headstock.

Not even an OLP, wrong pickguard.

Avoid.

TonyP- likes this.